𝟎𝟏. 𝐫𝐮𝐧𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐲

CHAPTER ONE
runaway

YASMINE MCCALL

"Ohh, just like that. No, no, you first. Me first?"

I rolled my eyes at Stiles, who was mumbling in his sleep and glanced up at my mom, who had been headed towards Lydia's hospital room. My mom looked weirdly at Stiles before she slid some papers into the small holder on the door and walked away again, shooting me a quick smile.

Stiles and I had stayed at the hospital together, waiting to hear about Lydia's condition. I still didn't like her and I was still heartbroken that Stiles had admitted his feelings towards her, but I needed to know what Lydia was and if she would be okay.

The night of the Winter Formal, Peter Hale, the former Alpha, bit her just to get Stiles to help him, and also me. While we had gone off to help Peter, after he'd threatened us, Stiles had called Jackson and asked him to get Lydia to the hospital.

The door to Lydia's room opened and her father walked out. He just so happened to glance over to the row of chairs where Stiles was lying, while I sat on a chair next to him, one that I had dragged over myself, since Stiles was taking up all these seats.

"They've been here all night." I heard Mr. Martin say to my mom.

She disagreed. "They've been here all weekend."

A nurse came over to empty the trashcan that was next to Stiles' chair, the one where he had been resting his head. "You're dirty," he mumbled, still in his sleep. A giggle left my mouth as the nurse shot him an annoyed look and walked away.

Stiles woke up just a few seconds after that and tried to sit up, only to be hit with the ugly ballon he had brought to the hospital with him. I tried to muffle my giggles as he struggled to get it away from his face, sitting up straight when he finally managed to get the ballon away from his face.

"Dumbass." I mumbled under my breath, rolling my eyes, and looked away.

Stiles seemed confused at first and looked around as if he didn't know where he was before he suddenly remembered why he was here and pouted. "Yasmine, I'm kinda hungry."

"And... What am I supposed to do about that?" I asked Stiles with a small smile on my face. "I can't just whisk up some food on the spot."

He glanced around with narrowed eyes until he suddenly jumped up from his chair. "There's a vending machine just down the corridor. Let's go get some food."

I thought about it for a second, then nodded and stood up. "Yeah, sure." I followed him down the corridor and over to the somewhat empty corridor where a vending machine stood, pushed up against the wall.

"What do you want?" Stiles yawned as his eyes scanned the goods inside the machine.

I pushed him a bit to the side and looked over everything in the vending machine. "Um, just some Reese's Buttercups." I pulled out a coin, but Stiles grabbed my hand before I could put it in the machine and shook his head.

"I'll get it."

I grinned and stepped back, holding up my hands. "By all means, go ahead." I backed off.