𝟏𝟒. 𝐜𝐫𝐲𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐰𝐨𝐥𝐯𝐞𝐬

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
crystals and conspiring wolves

YASMINE MCCALL

Nothing more was said during Econ and luckily for me, Scott nor Stiles picked up on how I had kept my notebook closed for the rest of the lesson. Lydia had seem traumatized and once someone else had volunteered to go answer the question, which Coach re-wrote after he erased what Lydia had written, she had returned to her seat. Scott, Stiles, even Jackson, and I had kept our eyes on her for the rest of the lesson and she just seemed like she was going to pretend it had not happened.

"Derek is not gonna kill her without proof," Scott said adamantly as he, Stiles and I headed into the chemistry classroom.

Lydia would honestly be the perfect candidate for the Kanima - she had been bitten by Peter and not turned, she had never been somewhere at the same time as the Kanima and well, who else would it be? In my heart, I was scared that Derek or the boys would assume that maybe it was me, but that would make absolutely no sense considering I had been there every time the Kanima had attacked us and I do not know about anyone, but I surely did not have the skills to literally be myself and a murderous creature at the same time.

"Alright, so he tests her like he did with Jackson, right?" Stiles questioned as the three of us walked into the classroom. "But when and where?"

My eyes drifted to the back of the room, where Isaac and Erica had just walked in, both maliciously staring at Lydia. "I think you just got your answer," I sighed and nodded towards the try-hard werewolves.

We made eye contact and competitively, we all looked over at Lydia, who was perched at a desk by the front of the classroom. Stiles and Scott were faster than me and managed to get to Lydia's desk before I could even react. I had seen Isaac and Erica headed for the same table, but luckily my brother and Stiles were faster.

I could sense a pair of eyes on me and let my eyes scan the classroom until they landed on Erica and Isaac. Both had these annoying, cocky smirks on their faces and as they sat there, dressed in their Derek-wannabe leather jackets and nonchalant attitudes, I fought every urge in my body to punch both their faces in.

"Yas," my eyebrows furrowed and my eyes instead focused on Stiles, who was sitting by Lydia's table yet his eyes solely locked on me, his eyebrows knitted. "Don't let them get to you."

I took a deep breath and I nodded. From the side of my eye, I could see Erica and Isaac staring at me, those cocky smiles still on their faces. Instead of acting on my impulses, I decided to be the bigger person and so I flashed Erica and Isaac a sarcastic smile, flipping the bird at them before I took a seat at the empty desk next to Lydia, Scott and Stiles. My hearing allowed me to hear Isaac and Erica complain to each other, but I chose not to care as Allison entered the classroom. She could sense the tension and as she sat down next to me, her brows arched and a questioning expression on her face, I nodded to the desk adjacent to ours, the one behind where Lydia was sitting with Scott and Stiles.

Allison's eyes widened, but before she could speak, a voice boomed through the lab. "Einstein once said, 'Two things are infinite: the universe and the human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe'. I myself have encountered infinite stupidity." Mr. Harris loudly spoke out into the classroom, walking through the aisles of students, proceeding to pat Stiles' shoulder as if he was referring to Stiles in that last sentence.

I grimaced and Allison looked to me, both of us rather amused at Mr. Harris and his indirect yet very direct insults. He was an asshole and I might have a thing for Stiles, but nobody could deny that at times, Mr. Harris could be a tad funny. Only sometimes.

"So, to combat the plague of ignorance in my class, you're going to combine efforts through a round of group experiments." He announced and I fought hard to hold back a loud sigh. "Let's see if two heads are indeed better than one." He pointedly stated, then looked back at Stiles. "Or, in Mr. Stilinski's case, less than one."