Chapter 14: Ride

Ride

          Until today, I didn’t believe in ghosts, or monsters, or any of that nonsense. I still don’t, not entirely. So I think I’m already dead, so I think some phantom is following me around; I still don’t think there’s some supernatural other side existing within our own.

          But when I first see the horse; all that kind of vanishes for a moment; my heart stops. Because in this light; it is not a horse, it is a monster, a monster from the depth of the ocean’s edge we’re standing at. Just a dark shape, shaking salt water from a frothy mane. A creature of darkness the likes of which I’d never seen before. In my defense, in all the years I’ve lived here, I’ve never seen a horse on the beach. “What the heck?” Kurt exclaims, upon seeing the horse.

          “Is that a…” Abby trails off.

          “That’s a horse,” I announce, stating the obvious.

          And it is. By day, I expect the animal would be beautiful; a dark coat, dark mane and tail. A thin muzzle, flared nostrils. And its eyes, bright and slightly frightened, jumpy. But here, by dark, that fear in its eyes looks like fierce intent. Yes, perhaps by light it would be gorgeous, but in the shadow of the night, it is a monster. 

          “And what is a horse doing on the beach?” Kurt demands.

          “I have no idea,” I whisper.

          “Seriously, guys” Leo chastises us, stepping towards the animal, “there’s a stable just a little ways from here; the horse is probably from there. So let’s just get it back to its home guys, no big deal; okay?”

          Leo steps forward, reaches up a hand; about to grab the horse’s halter. But the animal doesn’t appear to agree with that plan; and rears up, releasing a high pitched whiney. The three of us laugh as Leo stumbles back a few steps; he turns his head back briefly, just to shoot us, mainly Kurt, a bitter glare. The horse stands there in the sand, quaking.

          “Shh shh shh,” Leo murmurs, nearing the animal again, keeping his hands out in front of him, flat, “shh shh shh.”

          Slowly, Leo reaches up, taking the horse by the halter, and stroking its muzzle. He continues with his coos, keeping a firm grip on the animal’s halter, stroking the animal’s neck, it’s face. For a long while, Leo simply stands there, calming the animal, until it no longer quivers on high alert. I’m not sure how he does it; but he just seems to radiate this patient, welcoming energy. “That’s better, right?” Leo whispers finally, his hand still twisted around the halter; he steps away, clucking the horse forward a few steps.

          With the horse calmed down, Leo sets to inspecting the animal, and the strappy piece of leather tack he holds it by. “Yeah,” he says, “it’s from the stable just like five minutes from here.” And without further ado, Leo vaults up onto the horse’s back.

          The three of us just stare up at him, slightly surprised. “What?” he says, “it’s not like any of us have a trailer hanging around.”

          “So you’re just gonna ride it back?” I demand, “do you even know where you’re going?”

          “Yeah, my mom took me there for trail rides a few times when I was little,” Leo explains, twisting his hand into the horse’s mane. He presses his heels into the animal’s sides, pulling it into a turn by the mane. “Wait!” I exclaim, the words coming out of my mouth without my considering them, “I’m coming too.”