Chapter 24: A Letter From the Dead

A Letter From the Dead

          The person I admire most is my twin sister Lily. I know this assignment was probably more an attempt to get us to write about a famous person, or some historical figure, to tell you a little about who we are deep down, or maybe what we ought to do with our lives. But to tell you about Lily, would be to tell you about myself; because she is all I could ever wish to be: beautiful, both inside and out, courageous, brave, kind, intelligent, caring, independent, and so, so much more. She is my idol.

          What is both truly amazing, and amazingly sad about my sister, is that she doesn’t see any of it. She doesn’t boast about it, she doesn’t try to prove to anyone how outstanding she is. But what worries me, is I think it might be because she’s forgotten how great she is, and what wonderful things she deserves. All I want, all I could ever want, is for to be happy. Because no matter what, she has always been there for me, and I love her so much.

          I want her to see what amazing things she is truly destined for, but I’m afraid she can’t see it. I’m afraid that she’ll always think I’m the better one. And maybe I am; better, for seeing what she cannot see in herself. And maybe that’s what I’m destined for; to make her whole, to unlock the part of her mind, the brilliant part she cannot see, cannot access on her own. It would make sense; we are two of a set.

          The truth is, all I want is for her to be happy. Really, really happy. Because she deserves it. And any day of the year, I would gladly put her happiness before mine. I want her to be happy, even if I can’t be. Because it won’t matter; because as long as she is happy, I’m happy. And when she hurts, I hurt. No matter what ocean might come between us, either metaphorical or literal, I will always wish her the best, because no matter where I am, her happiness, will make me happier than my own ever possibly could.

          Ms. Ace, I know this is probably isn’t at all what you were looking for in this paper, and you can fail me; I don’t really care. Because I just really had to say all of this, in case I die or something, and I thought this assignment was a good excuse.

          On that note, when I told my mom I was writing about Lily, she told me that it was a great idea, and she was sure Lily would write about me too. I told her she was wrong; I’m fairly certain the idea wouldn’t even cross Lily’s mind. But I don’t mind. Because my sister doesn’t have to write about me, to show me how much she cares about me, and how much she is willing to do for me. She shows me every single day, without even trying. And that’s another thing that worries me; I’m afraid that she might not only not see the potential in herself, but she might also not see how much I love her. And I’m not sure how to prove that to her, other than writing it all down, black on white.

          Truth is, I think the only way to explain this accurately, is that I wish for Lily, everything that she would wish for me; because I know she wishes me the absolute best. And the best, is exactly what I want for her.

          No matter what happens to me, I need her to live the sort of life she would have wanted for me. Because I know if she does that, we’ll both be alright.