Chapter 3- Beth and I

[Edited: 7/15/18]

Beth's POV

I woke up around 8:00 am and everyone was awake. Well, except Ally. She was still sleeping on the top bunk. When I poked my head over the side of the bunk, she was still sleeping like a baby. It was obvious that she's never slept this well in her life. I decided to just let her sleep.

As usual, I tied my hair up in a ponytail and threw on a simple outfit. Then I proceeded to walk into the cafeteria, ready to start the daily routine.

Daddy was sitting at the table reading the bible so I sat down next to him and poured myself a bowl of dried cereal. My head felt heavy with thoughts.

"Daddy? When are we going to do something different with our lives?" I asked after swallowing the first bite. It reluctantly made its way down my throat. This was a question that I've been dying to ask.

He set his bible down and scratched his beard, observing my face with admiration. "I don't know, honey. It's kind of hard to do something different when you're in a world like this." he said and I desperately shoved more cereal in my mouth. I didn't bother to say anymore and after a moment, he continued reading.

After I got done eating, I hugged my daddy and walked into the cell block to see that Ally woke up and was stumbling clumsily out of the cell. I smiled at the sight of her. It's nice to know that there's another girl to talk to and hang out with. Even if I am three years older than her. Maggie is always busy and I'm going a little crazy talking to myself when I'm babysitting.

"Hey, Beth." Ally greeted me with a sweet, refreshed hug.

"Good morning. Would you mind helping me bring hay to the horses? It's a lot of work and I could use some extra hands." I asked politely, swaying my hands in the air jokingly. Her eyes lit up sillily.

"Yea. No problem," she chuckled, straightening her shirt. Great! I motioned for her to follow me as I walked into the cafeteria and out the door.

***

"Oh my gosh!" Ally gasped as we made our way through the doors and stopped walking for a few seconds.

"What is it?" I spun on my heels to see her smiling up at the sky. Her brunette waves of hair covered her face softly, her eyes glowed a bright blue.

"It's so beautiful out here! Even if it is a prison. I have never had this much room to run around since it all happened," she shouted out, letting her voice echo right back. I laughed as she held out her arms and closed her eyes, embracing the sunlight. She's already getting use to the place.

I giggled and shook my head at this. "What?" she laughed. "Come on try it! It feels good."

"Fine." I held out my arms and closed my eyes. The feeling of the sun on my skin warmed my heart. She was right, the sun did feel really good. I suddenly felt really relaxed. I could accomplish anything.

I opened my eyes and took a deep breath before putting my arms down. "Wow, you were right. I feel completely relaxed," I said and Ally smiled.

"I know. I love the sun," she mumbled playfully and once again, I pulled her over to the horses.

It wasn't long before a sudden urge built up inside me and I didn't want to wait any longer to speak my mind.

I looked around eagerly and made sure no one was watching before I spoke. "We should do something," I told her and she looked at me, confused.

"What do you mean?" She asked, raising her eyebrow in curiosity. I sighed as she grabbed the brush and started brushing down the horse.

"I mean, we should go on a run. Together. Alone." I explained and the look on her face returned. She almost seemed frightened just by the idea.