Things Changed

Present time

After a long day at work, Aurora leaned on the railing of her apartment balcony, an almost empty bottle of vodka in her hand.

It was the fifth year she had had to live without him.

1,800 days since he had never came back from his boat trip.

1,800 days to visit the ocean. To visit him.

She didn't.

She thought about Oliver nearly every day. All the things they never told each other. The things she wanted to take back. The things she so desperately wished he could hear.

"Oliver, Oliver, Oliver, what happened to us? What happened to me? If only you could see me now. You'd probably give me some dumb speech. But you can't see me right now. Because you're dead. That's the truth. Five years Oliver. I can't-"

Her drunken spoken-aloud-thoughts were interrupted by three solid knocks on the door. Aurora narrowed her eyes, downed the rest of her bottle, and went to open the door. She wasn't at all surprised to see Thea standing there, but the expression she wore evoked Aurora's curiosity.

"Aurora, I need to talk to you" Said Thea's soft, calming voice.

"What happened?" Aurora narrowed her eyes further.

"Can't I just talk to one of my best friends?" Thea play-pouted unconvincingly.

Aurora could tell that she was tired. She was hurt. There was only one person in the whole world that she knew better than Thea Queen, and that was Oliver.

"You're using your 'please don't freak out' voice Thea" Aurora explained as she pulled Thea into her apartment and closed the door behind her.

"Well you're right. As always" Thea rolled her eyes, "Something... big happened. And I thought you'd like to know" Thea said nervously

"If this is about sex, please-- I don't-" Aurora started loudly before Thea cut her off with a scolding:

"AURORA!!!"

Even in her serious state, Thea couldn't help but giggle at her friend's drunk comment.

"Just sayin!" Aurora defended herself, smiling at Thea, happy to see the girl lighten up slightly.

"No! Its- uh, something much more important" Thea said, gulping nervously

"Thea. Just say it" Aurora waved her hand dismissively. Thea narrowed her eyes at the older girl. 

"Aurora are you drunk?" Thea asked

"Thea you're stalling" Aurora noted. Thea was quiet at that. Aurora was right. As per usual. 

"I don't know if I can do it" Thea ran her fingers through her already-tousled hair. 

Aurora frowned at her state. Thea usually kept herself so composed, it was a coping technique, but she looked a mess as she stood in Aurora's living room, taking up as little space as possible.

"Thea" Aurora walked over to the girl and placed both hands on her shoulders, suddenly very sober, "Just say it honey" She said in a smooth, comforting tone.