Sleep (Kaito Momota x Insomniac!Reader)

Requested by: the author staying up way too late for an IB student

Cut me some slack my boyfriend literally just dumped me this morning
---

I woke up in a cold sweat one night, my eyes remaining fixed on the ceiling. I took a few deep breaths to try to slow my heart rate, but I was still definitely awake. Judging by my wake up, I must have been having a nightmare, but I forgot it the second my eyes fluttered open. There was nothing I was more terrified of then falling back into whatever I was dreaming about.

I reached for my phone, scrolling through all of the notifications I had accumulated. It was dead in the middle of the night, and yet I had received a text a few mere minutes ago from Kaito. I read it quietly, though I was still ind of thrown off by it.

>>you still awake?

I quickly typed out a reply.

>now I am. Whaddya want?

Only a minute or so passes by before my phone buzzes.

>>can't sleep, ya know? Mind if I come over? I need to clear my head.

>idc.

>>I'll be over in a few.

I locked my phone and stretched my arms, wrapping my blanket around my shoulders like a cape. Sure enough, I heard a light knock at my door in only a few mere minutes. I opened it to find Kaito standing there, an innocent yet excited grin on his face.

"Someone's a little too excited about being up at 3am," I snarled as I stepped out of the doorway to let him in. He stepped inside, keeping his slippers on his feet as he sat down on the couch of my room. I positioned myself at the edge of my bed, kicking my feet around in anticipation.

"So... why're you awake so late?" I asked in a desperate attempt to strike up a conversation. A small smirk rose on his face, a bit of mischief in his eyes.

"Dunno. My sleep schedule is just messed up as is," he explained. "Often being an astronomer means you stay up late into the night looking at stars."

"Well, it's not like there are many stars to look at in here," I joked bluntly.

"No, there is," he winked. I felt my cheeks grow hot, but then I felt embarrassed when I realized he was just joking with me.

"Stop that," I ordered. "At any rate, you decided that the best way to fall asleep was to come and terrorize me?"

"Yuh-uh!"

"You're... something else," I chuckled softly. "You're lucky I was awake, even if it is... 3 am?! Jesus Christ!"

"the real question is why you are still awake," he jabbed back. "You're no astronomer, are you?"

Suddenly, the room fell silent for a few seconds. Kaito frowned at me. "Wait... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to insult you-"

"Don't apologize," I insisted. "I have insomnia, is all. And, you know, staying here, I don't have access to any medicine or anything."

"I see," he sighed softly. "At any rate, you should be getting to sleep now, right? Don't let me keep you up any later."

"Wait!" I exclaimed. "No... can you stay here with me? And like, chill with me? Just until I fall asleep."

A small smile crept up onto his face. "Yeah, only if you want me to."

"I do," I insisted, shifting so that I took up only half of the bed. I patted the spot next to me wordlessly.

"I don't know if you should trust me to be in your bed with you," he half-joked, half-earned me.

I patted the spot next to me again. "Well, I do."

He eventually gave up, siting next to me as if he was uncomfortable. I lied down on my side, him eventually doing so as well. Once he did, I scooted close to him.

"What... are you doing?" He asked, his cheeks turning pink.

"Don't worry," I mumbled, burying my face into his chest. "Can you turn the lights off?"

After a few seconds, the room was enveloped into darkness. I stared at the ceiling, my heart beginning to race as he wrapped his arms around me.

"You feeling a little better?" He whispered, his voice sending shivers up my spine.

"I am," I replied. "Sorry to make you stay here... you can go if you like."

He chuckled softly. "No, I'll stay."

The two of us laid together in bed, his arms acting as a protective shield around me. It was only a few moments before my eyes closed, and I began slowly falling into a peaceful and uninterrupted sleep.

"Upupuupu!" A familiar chipper laugh sounded throughout the room, acting as an unwanted alarm clock. The morning announcement played, much to my annoyance. Kaito was still asleep, the tiniest of smiles on his lips.

"Wake up.. it's morning..." I purred, his purple eyes slowly opening. We both sat up, dumbfounded by how short our sleep was.

"Already?" He pouted. "Damn, I don't want to do anything. I'm way too tired."

"I'm in the same boat," I admitted. "At any rate, we should maybe go-"

"I don't know about you, but I'm up for a few more hours of sleep," he stated bluntly.

I nodded my head. "Same here, man."

"How's bout we sleep in a bit?" He offered with a smirk on my face. I nodded, and we both lied back down. Before I went back to sleep, I heard him murmur something to me.

"Anything that can work as an excuse to hold you in my arms is worth doing."