prologue.part1

Prologue Part One

LUCAS couldn't be bothered with the rest of the day. It had been horrible, starting off with losing his school backpack so he was late, and then Miss Jill had the nerve to put him in detention! He ended up missing the first half of lunch meaning there was no apple crumble left for him. That was his favourite! And to top it all off, some boy peed their pants in class and it was really hot so it stank up the classroom.

All he wanted to do was go home and eat some of Miss Lillian's homemade cookies but she told him to go and get some fresh air. "You spend too much time in doors Lucas." The maid had said. She had bribed him with cookies to eat for when he returned home so he agreed to go to the park.

The heat was sweltering so the streets were packed with kids. He assumed the park would be too so he took his time with the usually short walk. Maybe Miss Lillian would let him have ice cream when he gets home too.

For human children, it would probably be dangerous to have a six year old play without a guardian around but Lucas was used to being out by himself. He was the Alpha's son so naturally had more strength and was faster than the average six year old infant - human or wolf. His personality was more mature as well. This had nothing to do with being a werewolf but to do with the fact he knew he was expected of much more than the a normal child.

The park was also public and littered with many pack members that would gladly give their lives up for their future Alpha. Not many humans would live here, being so far away from the city, and any that do, have lived here all their lives. They didn't know about the werewolves but many believed in the myths and legends. Anyway, it would be unlikely for any dangerous humans to pass by so it was safe for Lucas. Not that he cared. He believed he could take them.

"Hey Lucas! Come play footy with us!" One of his friends, Ryan, called from the field where a game of football was going on. He had only just walked into the park and suddenly had everyone's attention. It's as if they knew he was there just from the powerful aura he gave off, even as a child.

He cupped his hands around his mouth. "One sec! Just gonna hang here for a bit."

Lucas saw his friend nod in the distance but turned around and walked away before anything more could be said.

Even though Ryan was a friend, his best friend you could say, Lucas was reluctant to spend time with him and his classmates. Surprisingly, he wasn't that sociably and liked to spend time by himself or watching his father train rather than play video games with the rest of the guys. He just didn't like people that much.

He spotted his tree and went to walk towards it. Well, it wasn't really his tree but he'd sit there sometimes and wouldn't really see anyone else near it. Everybody knew the Alpha's son didn't like to share his things. Even if it was a tree.

Passing the people in the park led to pats on the shoulder and many greetings. It was annoying as he just wanted to be left alone. Sure, he was grateful and proud to be the future leader of the pack but it didn't mean he wanted to make small talk about the weather.

When he finally reached the tree at the edge of the park, he sat down and looked at the families doing their own thing. He had nothing better to do. The swings were preoccupied and a line had started to form it was that busy.

Sometimes he wished he had a family that would take the time to take him to the park and someone to push him on the swings as he yelled, "higher!" But because his mother had died when he was a baby due to rogues, his father had never been able to fill the more caring and gentle role. Instead, they bonded over fighting tips and ways to get the pack to work together. A Luna would usually be the one to bring the pack together as a unit, a family, and an Alpha to protect the pack and lead it to battle. His father had to try and fill both roles to keep the pack as the best one in the country. He had learnt all of this since he could comprehend words. Instead of fairytales, his father told him battle strategies.