chapter.2

Chapter Two

THE trees became a blur as his black paws hit the Earth while he ran. Dodging branches easily, with the wind rushing past his fur and the rising Sun illuminating his path, this was definitely Lucas' favourite thing to do.

Besides hanging out with Ava.

Ava. His beautiful mate. He remembered how scared she looked yesterday when they received the news she'd be going to school with him. He spent the rest of the day consoling her, telling her it would be alright. Even if he believed otherwise.

Lucas would usually do whatever he can to spend more time with Ava. He just can't seem to get enough of his little mate. However, this would be different. This wouldn't be just Ava and Lucas. There'd be a whole school. A whole school that could possibly be a threat to Ava's safety. A whole school to stare at his mate. They weren't worthy enough but then again, he didn't think he was either. Though, it didn't matter because Ava was his mate. He felt himself growl as he imagined how many hormonal boys would be there to gawk at his Ava. He'd need to make sure they knew she was his.

As the sun rose, it signalled the end of his run. He had spent the night at his own house before going out for a run to stretch his paws as he hadn't had time to do so in a while. Lucas would've loved to hold Ava in his arms as they slept, especially before the terrible day ahead but he needed to let his wolf out otherwise he'd grow anxious. He needed all the control he could get so he didn't lose it in front of his innocent mate.

Ava had no idea about what Lucas was. What his whole pack was. Sure he felt guilty about keeping a secret as big as this away from Ava, but he wanted to keep her safe. And keeping her away from the monsters she reads about would be the best way to go.

Obviously he'll tell her but when the time is right. That would be when he tells Ava about his feelings and when she returns them without knowing about the mate bond. He didn't want her to feel like she had no choice but to be with him just because they're mates. He wanted her to fall in love with him.

Now he had to rush home to get dressed and pick Ava up. She wanted to have breakfast at the pack house and see John before her first day at college. Plus, Lucas didn't want to leave her in that children's home any longer than she had to be. Another way to keep her safe was to make sure other packs didn't know they were mates so his father had put Ava in the children's home, despite Lucas' protests.

He hated that Ava had to live there. With it being a children's home that only had humans, they didn't know Lucas and Ava were destined to be together. Marcus was the main problem. He was a scrawny little boy that had a crush on her. Lucas wasn't too threatened but he didn't like that some other guy was thinking about her in that way and he was kind of jealous that Marcus got to live with Ava whereas he had to break the rules to visit.

He changed to his human form once he reached near the pack house and got dressed in the pants that he tied around his paw. He was running slightly late but hopefully Ava wouldn't mind.

"Son, where are you going? You're a bit early for school aren't you?" His father asked when he saw Lucas after he had been to his room to put a shirt on.

He grabbed an apple, realising he shouldn't have ran on an empty stomach. "Yeah. I'm just going to pick Ava up and then come back for breakfast." When he came home last night he had told his father to do something about Ava joining school but of course he agreed with Miss Barnaby, saying that it was a good opportunity for Ava.

"Alright. I'll tell Miss Lillian to make some banana pancakes then." John said, knowing that it was Ava's favourite. "I'll tell the pack too." He added, knowing that he has to warn the pack whenever Ava comes so they were extra careful to not show their wolves around her.