Imposter

A/N

Hey, this is a short story for a thread for a writing game called The Wonderland War. This story is based on Alice in Wonderland. I've actually never watched the movie but I think I've read the book but there are only some things I remember.

~~~~~

I sat around the large table, covered with an elegant cloth. A thick tree filled with purple dots overlooked it, making a large enough shade to cover the entire thing. I glanced at the faces around me that sat at the table. To them, I was the Mad Hatter. I looked at the garden the table was in the middle of. Bright flowers surrounded us, also letting off a pleasant, sweet smell. The grass was freshly cut and the green hedges cropped neatly. I watched as a gold and black butterfly perched on a flower.

My eyes stopped at the striped creature in front of me. Its fluffy tail hung behind it. The cat's fur was as purple as the delicious grapes in a glass bowl, that sat in the middle of the table. To everyone else, it seemed like the Cheshire Cat but I knew it wasn't. I could see right through its illusion. Could it see through mine?

Everyone seemed to be here by now. I counted the guests, 1...2...3...4...The White Rabbit waltzed in, late to the tea party. His black umbrella tucked under his arm and he wore a brown, plaid overcoat. He pulled out his watch and stared at it."Oh my, late again. Aren't I?" he said, pushing up his small glasses that hung at the tip of his nose.

Mr. Caterpillar sat in one of the white chairs around the table. The White Rabbit took a seat next to him. The Queen of Hearts was sitting in the same chair but it was at the top of the table, covered with fluffy white cushions. She welcomed her guests, not knowing that one of us were planning to kill her. At least I knew which one it was. It was not me for I was only here for the food. I've heard the queen threw the best tea parties with the most delicious pastries.

Should I tell the Queen? She has not been the best to me, and forgive me but I would not mind her dead.

"Welcome! Everyone," the Queen said, standing up and stretching out her arms as if to embrace the air. Her long dress flowed to the ground. It was half red and the other half was black. In the middle where her dress parted, was black and yellow striped fabric. A golden crown sat on top of her dark hair and she held a wand with a heart at the end in her hand. We all smiled and thanked her for the invitation. I fixed my gaze on the Cheshire Cat. He was now watching the queen's every move like she was his prey. I can stop this.

But will I?

Mr. Caterpillar and the White Rabbit had started to help themselves to the food on the table. Mr. Caterpillar, especially, used his six arms to his benefit. He noisily gulped down the cakes and tea. Quickly eating almost half the food, before anyone else could get a bite. I didn't blame him, the food was tempting.

I hadn't eaten anything since I've come and the food was why I came. I looked at the pastries on the table. In front of me, were jelly cakes, muffins, grapes, strawberries, and cookies. There was also tea, steam rising from the kettle. I grabbed one of the muffins and two cookies. I poured myself a cup of tea and started to sip it.

Distracted, I was surprised to hear a shriek. I looked over to where the Queen sat but it was empty. The Cheshire Cat took her.

"What happened?" The White Rabbit asked. He quickly ran to the cushion lined, white chair. I knew what happened but saying anything would give away the fact that I was an imposter.