Silence

She used to sing. She used to sing her heart out day and night. 

She loved it. It kept her breathing and I never knew till now that her voice kept me breathing too.

It didn't matter that she wasn't any good to some people. To her she was great and she was sure of it. No one could tell her different.

She would always tell me, "Coorah, you can be anything. Just believe and try your best."

When the worst happened I didn't believe her. I thought that good things don't always happen to good people, but she would always tell me to believe in myself and everything will fall into place.

I liked her confidence. She didn't care what anyone else thought and she always looked for the best in life even if everything was the worse. Even if her whole world was falling apart right in front of her.

And it did. When a huge semi-truck slammed into the car she was driving. Her whole world fell apart and so did mine.

I remember when dad used to tell me about how I would be like my mom. I believed it when I was younger. I would stand in front of the couch with my parents and my brother sitting down, watching me. I would hold onto the hairbrush and sing my heart out.

Just like her, but as I got older I gave up on that dream. I forgot everything she told me. I lost the hope and innocence from my distant childhood.

My mother lost that once giddy child. The one that always believed and loved everything. She never talked about it but I could see it in her eyes. How she wished I was still that child.

Now I'm different. No matter how much I denied it I hated to hear her singing. I hated it so much. Maybe it reminded me of how I could never be like her. 

But now I know there is nothing worse than the silence when great music ends.

A/N

This was really short. I made this and the cover for a prompt war. Second cover I've ever made. The first was for this book of short stories.