Henley, cont.

It hurts.

Before they make it into the screen porch, I'm back inside the house, sitting at the kitchen table flipping through the newspaper like I didn't see them at all. I tucked the photo album under a stack of magazines because I really don't want to answer questions right now. I'm only looking at these photos because I'm interested, not because I'm trying to be the old me again.

"Morning, Henley," Ryan says, walking around the table until he's facing me. I try not to let him see I'm bothered and confused. I try not to be ridiculous.

"Morning," I look up into his eyes and my heartbeat kicks up a few notches. Just because I refuse to act on my attraction doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

He's sweating and it's sexy as hell. His cheeks are pink from the cold wind and the long walk home. It's times like these I tell myself he's mine and that I shouldn't feel nervous around him. That this attraction is a good thing; maybe it's my body remembering him when my mind can't.

He's in a pair of camouflage pants and thick black boots, and he's peeling off his blaze orange coat and gloves and dropping them on the floor. He's left a trail of mud and leaves from the back porch to wear he stands now. I'm quick to glare from his eyes to his mess and back, and he smiles and scoops his belongings up quickly. Just because he's smoking hot doesn't mean I'm going to let him drop his shit all over the house. That much I do know.

"Sorry. I'm about to hop in the shower. Bad luck huntin'. Almost had one, but it got away," he sighs. "Good thing it's only the start of the season. Plenty of time."

"By 'almost had one' he means he saw a buck off in the distance and missed it by a mile," I hear a soft voice say from behind him. Damn, I'd almost forgotten about her.

Ryan rolls his eyes and she walks up to him to tousle his already messy hair. Excuse me while I gag. I'm just about to do something irrational like flash my wedding ring to stake my claim when Ryan's voice interrupts my jealousy.

"Way to bruise my ego," he pokes her in the ribs until she jumps back. I look away, completely out of sorts for some reason. He clears his throat, and when we make eye contact, it's clear he sees my concern. "Just remember who taught you how to hunt to begin with."

He puts his hand on the woman's back and leads her slightly forward again until she's beside him and right in front of me. "This is Harlow," he says carefully. "My twin sister."

Excuse me? Yeah, we've played it pretty simply, but I would've figured he'd have shared this minor detail, especially since I'm about to dive head first into his family again in a few days.

He looks guilty, like he knows it could upset me to introduce me to her-his twin-this way, but I can't bring myself to be angry with him. He's smiling like an idiot around her, and it's nice to finally see him relaxed. He's bent over backwards for me since the moment I woke up, and it's about time he has a little time for himself.

Harlow steps forward and I stand up awkwardly. I'm not sure if I should shake her hand or hug her, and I wonder what our relationship was like before the accident. I'm curious, because her eyes are filled with a thin sheet of tears. Instead of a hug, she presses her hand into mine, like we're really meeting for the first time, and it eases me in a way.

"Hi," she says sweetly with a smile that says she means every word. "I'm so happy you're home. We've really missed you, Henley."

"Thank you," I nod and smile politely, because I'm not sure what else to say. I'm sure Ryan has given her the story on my status. I don't think she was expecting a big happy reunion, but still, this moment is big and this time I'm going to remember it.