Henley, cont.

Present Day

"And you just knew?" Kate asks with a smile before she takes a bite of her blueberry muffin. "I mean, he's gorgeous, obviously, but how'd you know?"

"I just felt it," I smile. I just finished telling her a brief version of the day I met Ryan, but the memories are vivid as they dance through my mind. My cheeks heat, even now that I'm married to the man, because holy hell, that day was hot.

Whew.

We're nestled in the corner of the coziest coffeehouse this side of Wyoming, in a corner booth by a huge window and little novelties that makes it feel more like a home. We're laughing and sharing stories, and although I've know this girl for a mere 48 hours, I feel like I can tell her anything. Maybe not all at once. Maybe without such raw details, but the truth nonetheless.

We've been talking on and off about Ryan and my life for the last few hours, and it feels amazing. I've never been the type of person to just throw pieces of myself out there for the world to devour; I wore careless as a shield for a very long time, protecting myself the only way I knew how.

But I don't want to hide from her, or anyone, anymore. My life may have blemishes, but it led me to today, and I can definitely say this is somewhere I never thought I'd be.

One day, when she's older and I don't have to feel like I need to be a role-model, I hope we can be great friends - the kind who go through things together and share experiences. I have Harlow, and she's more than enough, more than I could ask for. But Kate is different; she's my blood.

"So that feeling you got, the first time you saw him...the first time you kissed him...was it love at first sight?"

"Maybe not love then, but definitely something," I smirk and take a sip of my coffee. I guess she's not looking for the abbreviated version. I'm sure she's dreamed up some sweet idea where my life suddenly made sense after meeting him. I feel I have to be truthful, because I don't want her thinking love is just so easy.

But still, there's a certain intimacy to our story that belongs only to us. Things I'll never share with another soul but his.

"To be honest, I didn't think I'd ever see him again, so maybe I didn't let myself think to much about what I felt. But looking back? It was the most intense day of my life."

"It sounds perfect," she says dreamily, and I watch her gaze as it makes its way toward the counter of the coffeehouse. Her cheeks are pink, her eyes wide. I can't help but turn, and when I do, I see a tall, muscled, brown haired boy staring right back at her.

"I think I'm in love," she whispers softly so only I can hear. "With him,"

"Wow. Okay," I take a deep breath. This came out of nowhere. I wonder if she truly means it, or if her love is more of a crush on a cute guy at a coffeehouse that she's really never met.

From the dazed look in her eyes, I'd say she definitely knows him.

"There's just one problem," she chews her lip, then breaks her stare to look down into her coffee. "Okay, two. He's older..."

Well, shit. He doesn't look that old.

"Well, only 18. But I've known him since we were kids..." she continues and I feel myself settle down. "He's Finn's best friend. He used to tease me and pick on me when I was 10, but now..." she fans herself. "We've been seeing each other for a little while now...a few months, but we can't tell anyone and it's getting really hard to keep it a secret. Finn would be pissed, and Mom would flip if she ever caught us. She thinks of him as another son, so you can imagine how that would go over.