Chapter 12 Part 2 Finale: Playing Maddy's Results - The Pièce de Résistance

Chapter 12 Part 2

“Hey, Arthur, how ya doing today?” says Derek, trying to sound cheerful.

Sid raises her ears at the sound of his voice and lets out a small growl. I quickly shush her.

Arthur cuts to the chase. “Derek. I’m afraid I have some bad news for you. The lender has decided to renege on your expansion plans. After the article in the press today, they feel your credibility as a business leader has been greatly diminished.”

“That’s ridiculous,” states Derek. “It’s just a silly article. I’ve already spoken to Toffler and he’s preparing a reprint with an apology. He’s well aware that if he doesn’t do so, he’ll be facing charges for libel.”

Arthur looks at me. I shoot a quick e-mail to George Toffler.

“Even if what you say is true, Derek, there’s the issue of compliance. The lender can’t go through with the deal if charges are brought against you.”

“I’ve taken care of that, Arthur. The right people in the right places know exactly what to do. Trust me, the lender has nothing to worry about.”

“What does that mean?” asks Arthur.

I receive an e-mail response from Toffler denying any contact from Derek for a reprint or any mention of legal ac­tion. I look at Arthur and shake my head.

“It means there won’t be any charges,” says Derek. “There’s too much money at stake. Too many people are way too in­volved to let that happen. And besides, I’m way above that, Arthur.”

“Derek. I don’t think you realize the seriousness of the implications here. The lender feels the risk is too great and has backed out of the deal.”

“That’s not possible. We were supposed to sign two weeks ago. They can’t just walk away from a two-hundred-million-dollar deal on the table!”

“They can. And they did. It’s business, Derek. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.”

“No, that’s not the way I do business. I never lose, Arthur. Never.”

“Whatever your game is, Derek, it won’t be with Pintock International.”

“Listen to me. It’s you who doesn’t understand the im­plications involved here. This will be a terrible loss for you, Arthur. I’ve got other lenders lined up who can’t wait to get in. You’re going to come back to me begging to be in on this!”

“Is this how you want me to remember you, Derek? Threatening me? You ought to try a pseudo-death sometime. It might be good for your head. Best of luck to you, Derek, you’re going to need it. Goodbye.” Arthur hangs up. “Talk about true colors. Now let’s get that lender on the line.” He buzzes Anita. “Anita, please get Jerry Haggerty from Money Manhattan on the line for me.”

“Arnie’s son?” I ask.

“Yes, do you know him?”

“We met briefly at Arnie Haggerty’s tribute. You had re­ferred me to him, remember?”

“Yes, of course. I was out of the country when he passed away but it was the talk of the town. Shortly after that, Jerry took over for his father.”

“Jerry Haggerty’s on the line,” says the voice of Anita. “Jerry? Arthur. How would you like to put the funeral home consortium deal back on the table, only with a different leader, different company, whole new ball game.” “Who do you have in mind?” asks Jerry.

“Madison Banks of Lights Out Enterprises. I believe you’ve met.”

“I’m interested,” says Jerry. “Very interested. But are the funeral homes?”