Prologue

Dear Readers,
It's vital that it is said that this story is cryptic because it's supposed to be. My sister said that it was confusing but that's only because it's supposed to be; it's a mystery. Here's a haiku for reference:

As follows:

Dear Danny Phantom

Just a simple ghost but wait

This story isn't

It's awesome

This is a 3-5-7-5-3 haiku. I call it a traiku (try-koo, I don't want a mix-up!). Made it up myself. Anyway, read and enjoy!

Danny Phantom

I listen distractedly to the jabbering ghost in front of me. The tone of his voice is distinct--worried and frantic-- but the words are muddled because I'm not paying much (any) attention. Time is difficult in the Ghost Zone to be sure, but I've been here far too many hours. At least.

The ghost finishes his wild tale of thievery of his human item-- the one item ghosts bring with them from the mortal world--with a worried plea. 

"You have to get it back," he implores, making desperate eye contact with the five of us. When he reaches me, I give a start and gaze more attentive and important at him. "You have to do something."

Now that I'm out of my daydreams, I send a look of authority (or at least I hope it's a look of authority) at Walker. "Send a pair of your men to investigate." Walker growls at me, with a You're not the boss of me look. I raise my eyebrows at him as he glares, and he slowly, still glaring, turns to his men (he always has at least five here) and wave his hand towards the ghost. "As Phantom says," he commands, but I feel like he's mocking me. 

I don't really care, though, as I'm in the future already with my wonderful wife and children... Though now I remember JT is at Jazz's until at least after dinner. So I guess it'll just be me, Sam and Jem. Such a loss, I think sarcastically, with a smile.

Man, when did I become such a sap?

"Phantom," says Pandora, reminding me of my responsibility. I shake my head to clear out my fantasies and turn to her. 

"Sorry," I apologize. "Human attention span. Are we done?" Pandora sighs, looks down at the logs in front of her, and nods.

"It would seem so. But Danny..." I pause from my hurried straightening of papers. "Patience."

"Yeah, yeah," I agree, still messily tidying the documents. "I'll learn it..." and I take off, calling over my shoulder, "Tomorrow!"

I find my own portal closed, so I head to my parents'. It's open, as always, and the lab is messy as ever. If I stay here much longer, I realize with a grin, he'll make me clean it. That in mind, I phase through the ceiling quickly.

"Danny, honey, is that you?"

I stop my rush, always having time for my mother. "Yeah, Mom. What do you need?"

"Do I always need something?" she asks, appearing in the doorway. I lower enough for her to plant a kiss on my cheek. "I was wondering if you would like some cookies for JT and Jem."

"Jem's not old enough for solid food yet, Mom," I laugh, but accept the cookies anyway. "I'll tell her you say hi. JT will be so pleased," I add, gesturing with the cookies.

"It's nice to see you, sweetie. See you tomorrow?"

I shrug. "There could be a crisis." She glares at me. "But there's always time for you." I wave and fly towards Sam and I's modest home. I land just inside, quickly heading in the general direction of the kitchen. "Sam! I'm home!" I call, already grinning in the prospect of the sweet kisses from my wife and the sticky ones from my daughter. JT is at Jazz's at least until dinner, so I'll have to wait for him for at least another half hour.

The kitchen door bangs a little as I throw it open, a smile working its way onto my face. Immediately it freezes. The plate of my mom's cookies drops from my fingers, but I hardly notice; I'm already past its shattered remains.

The cabinets are broken inward, as if someone was thrown against them. Wood is singed around holes in the floor and walls from ecto-blasts. Glass is broken, chairs knocked over, green splattered everywhere. Ecto-guns. A gaping hole is opened in the floor and I'm through it in a moment, looking desperately for my family.

"SAM! JEM!" There's a cry. A baby's cry. My vision blurs a little as I burst through the wall of the movie room into the portal room. It's closed. To keep me out.

Sam lies unconscious in the corner, an ecto-gun five feet away. A shrouded figure turns before I can see his face. I catch Jem's, though. "JEM!" I cry, stumbling, hands alight. Her face is twisted in fear and concentration, trying to break through the grip of the stranger. "GIVE HER TO ME!" My roar turns into a ghostly wail of desperation, and I launch for her and the man who holds her.

Purple flashes, and I crash into empty air. I scream in frustration. I stand, dumbfounded and seething, for a full two seconds before I rush to Sam and take her into my arms.

"Sam, Sam," I shout. "Are you okay?"

Her eyelids flutter, and her eyes open, first unfocused but then frantically desperate. "Jem. Jem! Where's Jem, Danny? Where is she?!"

I give a broken wheeze and clutch her tight to my chest as everything I had not twenty minutes ago has completely broken. After years of anguish, throughout high school and ghostly enemies and broken dreams, I'd achieved everything I'd ever worked for. But now none of that matters. Because with one word, my life shattered... Because my daughter is "Gone."