Chapter 3

Life is so much more interesting with Ashton.

I text him constantly, though being careful not to tell my dad about him. He would forbid me to ever text or talk to Ashton again. Ashton represents everything he hates: rebellion (he frequently doesn't do the dishes when his parents ask *gasp*), procrastination (no explanation needed), sports (he's on the football and the soccer team!), and, I'll admit it, freedom.

He has big dreams. He wants to travel the globe, discover things no one ever has before. He loves science and geography. He can't ever seem to know enough of either. He constantly bombards me with facts about some distant country that makes me long to see them as well.

Lindsey teases me about how often I talk to him. She claims that she might not have been able to pry me from my dad, but that Ashton will. But Ashton never even mentions him. And I don't bring him up.

Three weeks pass. We can't see them. Or at least... I can't see them. Lindsey sees Jack at least four times and Ashton twice. But that's two times more than me.

They live in some distant town. Of course-just my luck-it's a ghost-infested city, and my dad will never allow me there. They often come through the Ghost Zone, because they know some ghosts, I guess? Ashton refuses to speak on it.

I give up almost all hope on ever seeing him again.

But then something amazing happens.

"Two weeks?" I gasp, completely shocked.

"It's quite important. And Benedict will be here." My dad is going on a business trip! For two weeks! Over fall break! I couldn't ask for a better miracle!

"When do you leave?"

"Tonight. Tuesday to Monday. And I need to pack." He turns to leave.

"Okay. I'll see you when you get back. I love you."

He doesn't answer.

I go up to my room and text Ashton, saying that we should meet up sometime in the next two weeks. At the park.

I was wondering if we were ever going to see each other again, he replies. JT and Lindsey have been having all the fun. Seeing each other and such.

Well, I'll be alone with my... babysitter, let's say... and I can convince him you're a school friend!

Why must we lie? I can all but hear him dramatically swooning on the couch, bemoaning our lives theatrically.

Um... We could just not meet, then.

NO! I was kidding! Lying is good; it's healthy for brain development. How many different ways my dad would kill me if he knew about this...

Doubtful; shall we say, Lindsey's cousin?

I thought we decided on "school friend"?

No, they'll wonder why you're not at school. This way it's explainable and harder to be proved. All you have to be is annoying, like you're tagging along. So just be yourself.

Ouch, my heart! Alas, your witty banter opens a gaping hole of pain in mine own soul!!

I laugh as there is a knock at the door. My phone disappears beneath my homework as my father enters. "I heard laughing?"

"I made a mistake. It was so silly I laughed at myself," I reply smoothly, gesturing at my homework. Huh. It does get easier to lie each time.

"Don't laugh at mistakes. Correct them," he scolds. I begin to store the information away but think, why would I do that? Sure you should correct mistakes, but can't you laugh at them, too?