Ch. 21: Admitting the Truth

"Kiara Malfoy."

Chapter 21: Admitting the Truth

She only had a few minutes ahead of Fred to reach the Black Lake first. She felt like she needed more time, maybe a few days, to compose herself and rehearse what she needed to say. Even though George wished her luck in hope that she would confess her feelings for Fred, she wasn't going to tell him that she had a crush on him. She just wanted to speak to him about their argument and nothing more than that. It was much more important for them to heal and repair their friendship.

She managed to take a few of her shortcuts to avoid the possibility of running into Filch or Mrs Norris who might be roaming the corridors. It was getting close to 3am however, meaning that the castle was still as quiet as it was before.

Eventually, she stepped outside in the fresh early morning air. Luckily, the snow stopped falling and a fresh blanket of snow lay across the ground. The snow was difficult to trudge through, considering she wasn't properly equipped to walk outside. It was so cold that she summoned her beanie, scarf, gloves and a jar from her dormitory. She even cast a heat spell over her body, so that she wouldn't feel the cold winter air. She held the jar in her fingertips, walking towards the frozen lake.

Kiara slowed to a halt before looking at the jar, imagining a fire burning inside. She was pleased when a small flame appeared in the jar, emitting a light glow in the dark night. She rested the jar in the snow, sitting next to it. The snow was soft underneath her. It was a peaceful feeling, sitting in the dimly lit night, staring out in the moonlight. She leant backwards and rested her back on the ground, spreading her arms and legs outwards to make a snow angel.

She eventually stopped moving, too immersed in her thoughts as she stared at the night sky. When she was younger, Lucius never let his children play in the snow during the winter months. He claimed that playing outside was for children, not for Malfoys. But, her mother encouraged them to sneak outside some days when Lucius left Malfoy Manor for work, as long as Draco and Kiara hid any evidence that they played out in the snow that day. One day however, Kiara forgot to brush out her name in the snow. Once Lucius came home and saw that she disobeyed him, he was furious. He abused her with magic, magically cursing his belt to hit her frail body at least ten times.

"Can I join you?" Fred called out softly, his feet appearing next to her fingertips. Kiara shifted her gaze towards him, looking at him properly for the first time in over a week. His hair was quickly ruffled from lying in bed but he didn't look like he was just woken up by George. Perhaps, George was correct in saying that his brother wasn't sleeping properly either. Kiara blushed when she noticed that he was wearing his black boxers with his Weasley jumper quickly pulled over the top. "Aren't you cold?" Kiara blurted out. Fred raised his eyebrows at her response.

"You're the one lying in the snow," He pointed out, lying down next to her but not side-by-side. "I cast a heat spell when I left the Common Room, like you would've when you came out here." He outstretched his arms in the same way that she did, causing his fingertips to brush over hers. He murmured an apology and attempted to move his hands away from hers but she laced her fingers between his, shaking her head dismissively. "I've missed you so much Fred."

"I've missed you even more than that Kiara," He whispered, turning his head in the snow and staring directly at her. She wondered if her eyes were still grey.

"I think we need to address and talk about what happened, because we've never fought like this," She sighed, noticing Fred's face fall at her words. "We've been friends, best friends, for five years and we've never argued like that."

"I know Kiara. I have got some serious explaining and apologising to do because you mean a lot to me and I don't know what I'd do without you in my life. This week has been horrible, not talking to you and I just want to apologise for everything," Fred murmured, squeezing her hand. He looked her up and down for the first time, taking in her own full image as if he hadn't looked at her properly for a while either. She blushed, glad that she was wearing something quite appropriate. She was wearing a white jumper with a cardigan thrown over her shoulders with and grey shorts. Her long hair was tied back into a braid running down her back.