Ch. 39: Malfoy or Riddle

"Kiara Malfoy."

Chapter 39: Malfoy or Riddle

Kiara's feet hit the solid ground when they reached Hogwarts but Fred held her steady, noticing her knees buckling from the impact. After everything she went through tonight, it was a miracle that she was still standing. They stood inside the Hospital Wing, which was vacant. Harry was nowhere to be seen, which meant that the Portkey took him to Dumbledore's office instead. He did not seem to be visibly harmed by anything that required urgent attention, unlike Kiara's skin which was red and raw with burns. Her numbness was beginning to dissolve, and she started to notice the pain over her whole body.

"Miss Malfoy and... Mr Weasley? What is the meaning of this?" Madam Pomfrey bustled out of her office, flabbergasted by their sudden appearance.

"Dumbledore sent us," Fred explained as he held Kiara's trembling figure. Her skin was alarmingly hot, as if she was suddenly placed in an oven. The powers she used to conjure the water must've only worked temporarily. Pomfrey opened her mouth to question him, but she stopped herself when she noticed Kiara's red hands and neck. "Please, help Kiara! She was burnt from her elemental powers and I can feel her skin starting to burn."

"Fred... It hurts so much," Kiara murmured, somewhat incoherently. Her forehead was beginning to sweat and her vision became fuzzy. Her body temperature was soaring far beyond normal.

"Bring her to the bed, dear," Pomfrey ordered. Fred didn't want to make her walk so he swung his other hand under her burning legs and carried her to the bed, laying her gently. His eyes widened in worry, gazing at her skin.

"Her skin is so much redder..."

"She was burnt from the flames. Normally, she wouldn't be affected when she uses her elemental powers but if they were out of her control... We need to be fast otherwise she can have permanent scarring."

"WHAT?"

"Mr Weasley, calm down. Take this ointment and dab it on her skin where it is turning red. There is a potion I need to find that will stop the burning entirely." Footsteps echoed away. Kiara hissed in pain when she felt a cool hand rub a gel-like substance over her hand. "I'm sorry," Fred whispered softly but Kiara shook her head to disregard his apologies, holding her breath instead. She knew that he was only trying to help. He lifted the sleeves of her jumper and rubbed the substance higher. Almost immediately, the areas that were touched began to calm and the growing heat began to subside.

Slowly, Fred dabbed the ointment gently over her arms, legs, face, back and stomach which began to return to normal temperature. He did it with such care and tenderness, concerned to cause Kiara any more physical pain that she had already experienced this evening. His heart ached at the thought, not knowing what she even went through before he arrived. Her vision became more focussed when he closed the lid of the ointment. He didn't meet her eyes, gazing at his feet. "I can't help but think this is my fault..."

Kiara reached to his side and took his hand. "No, it isn't. You didn't do this to me. "

Fred looked at her face, catching her stare for a few moments before cupping her cheeks, kissing her gently. It was the first time that they kissed in months but nothing changed. His lips still met perfect with hers.

Someone cleared their throat and they broke apart. Kiara's pink eyes changed to purple. Pomfrey stood at the entrance of the Hospital Wing with her hands on her hips.

"Mr Weasley! Control yourself, Kiara is my patient," Madam Pomfrey reprimanded loudly, walking towards them with a potion in hand.

"I'm sorry Madam Pomfrey but I have absolutely no control with Kiara here," Fred grinned, for the first time that night. Kiara smiled at him weakly before taking the potion that Pomfrey was holding out whilst glowering at Fred.