Chapter 2.

"A Million feelings,
A thousand thoughts,
A hundred memories,
One person."
*------------------*

It was way past midnight when the sound of Samara's ringtone echoed in her room. She turned her head to the other side, ignoring the annoying music. But, the phone kept on ringing. Annoyed, she, at last, picked up the call.

Hello? Is this Samara Helenson?" the person on the other end inquired her.

"Ye....yes. May I know who this is?" she asked seeking for an answer.

"Ma'am we are calling you from Tokyo police station. I'm Konci Lee, the sub-inspector. A few days back, we filed a missing case on your sister, Grace Helenson. Can you please come over here?"

There are some formalities that need to be taken care of."

She couldn't believe her ears. Her eyes were wide awake, and her mind was rushing. What does he mean? What was happening? She felt numb.

A few seconds later, the inspector cleared his throat, "Hmm... Hello? Ma'am ? Are you there?"

Stunned Samara, tried to ignore it as a grave mistake but she just couldn't. Her mind had frozen. Nothing was making any sense.

As the realization dawned on her, Samara mumbled,

"How can you say that?"

"Ma'am, we need to speak with you personally. Can you please come over?"

 Can you please come over?"

She hung up the call. She was too shocked to reply. She couldn't believe it. No matter what, it was her sister. How could she have gone missing?

"This must be a lie. There must have been a mistake," she mumbled to herself, as a strange feeling clouded her thoughts.

**************

She looked at the trees, the houses, the people, rushing past the window of the moving train. The day was bright, it was beautiful. She sat calmly, not talking to anymore nor sparing anyone a glance. No one could have known what a storm was blowing through her life, destroying the tiny pieces of hope in her.

She looked down at her watch when the train stopped at another station. Nine thirty. Only a few more minutes before she would get her answers. A few more minutes before the police would tell her that it was all a false alarm and that everything was fine, and her sister was safe.

For now, she just had to wait.

Tokyo. It wasn't a new place for her. In fact, Japan isn't a new place for her. She grew up there, worked there, she had memories there. Grace had been living in Tokyo for about three and a half years. She worked as a high school teacher and lived in a rented room all by herself; whereas Samara lived in Hiroshima and worked as a manager in a bank. Even, her grandparents lived in Hiroshima before they moved out to the USA. Her grandpa in her later years had suddenly developed a brain tumour and the hospital management from the USA came forward to help them. After they moved away, Samara became lonely. Grace ignored her and Samara ignored her grandparents. Their parents had been dead way past when the sisters were just seven years old. They were a long lost memory.