Why Did They Have to Die?

Standing before King Nebuchadnezzar, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego proclaimed, "We do not need to defend ourselves to you. If you throw us into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from the furnace. He will save us from your power, O king. But even if God does not save us, we want you, O king, to know this: We will not serve your gods" (Daniel 3:16-18 NCV).

Live or die, they would not deny their faith.

In the last chapter of John, Jesus told Peter that he would die a martyr's death someday. When Peter saw John standing behind Jesus, he asked, "Master, what's going to happen to him?"

Jesus said, "If I want him to live until I come again, what's that to you? You - follow me." (John 21:22 THE MESSAGE.)

The purpose of this book is not to try to explain away the deaths of the martyrs, but to honor their conviction, commitment, and faith - and to build yours. Each of us must follow Jesus for ourselves. You may never have to face the decision of whether or not to die for your faith, but every day you face the decision of whether or not you will live for it.

What About the Persecutors?

Jesus said, "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Matthew 5:44 NIV). On the cross He said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do" (Luke 23:34 NKJV).

As you read the stories in this book, you will also see a recurring theme: These men and women of God were more concerned with saving their torturers than their own lives. God has not called us to hate those who do evil, but to pray for them and bring them into His family as our brothers and sisters.

Seeing It God's Way

Some deaths seem senseless - but God sees things differently than we do. As Tertullian, a Christian historian said, "The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church."

Some have been tortured because they refused to betray those who worked with them.

Some have stood firm, knowing that if they gave in-even a little - it would undermine the faith of many.

Some refused to be quiet because they realized their responsibility to tell the godless men around them of God's love so they too could be saved.

Some have simply been willing to lay down their lives for the One who laid down His life for them.

We shall not end our lives in the fire, but make a change for a better life.
Julius Palmer
Burned at the stake in England
1556

This is the end. For me, the beginning of life.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Hung in Germany, 1945

For to me, living is for Christ, and dying is even better.
Paul the Apostle
Beheaded in Rome, 65 AD

Heroic acts are often devastating, and there is a time for grief. But we must move on to discover the secret of the martyrs in this book. These believers were absolutely sure of eternal life. They were convinced that they were

not ending their lives but exchanging their lives on earth for a life with their Lord in heaven.

Throughout history, many have died so you could experience the faith and freedoms you enjoy today.

You too can choose to stand strong. God will honor you and you will make a real difference in your world.

Remember the Lord's people
who are in jail and be concerned for them.
Don't forget those who are suffering,
but imagine that you are there
with them.
Hebrews 13:3 CEV

Copyright © 1999 by Bethany House Publishers. Used with permission.