The Time of Your Life (A Bug's Life)

A fluffy one shot about Flik and Atta! It will be very short, likely. This will take place right at the end of the movie, when the circus bugs are leaving. Thank you to mlpgfsvtfoesulover for the idea! I know it's been a very long time since I published last. That won't be a regular occurrence, though.

Anybody get the title reference? ;)

"Hey, I've got an idea." Flik said lowly to Atta. "Come on." He suddenly, but gently grabbed her hand and led her into the reeds surrounding the colony's anthill.

"Flik, where are we going?" Atta asked suspiciously, but she was grinning. He returned the expression.

"You'll see. You'll like this, I promise!" He continued to run through the dense foliage, Atta trailing not far behind. When Flik reached the drop off, he stopped abruptly, and beside him, Atta did the same. He turned, and saw what he was looking for.

"This way!" Flik's grin grew even wider. As fast as he could, he climbed up the dandelion's stem to stand among its fluffy white pods at the top of the flower. Atta followed him, but instead of climbing, she simply flew up to where Flik was waiting. "Hey! That's cheating!" He laughed. She shrugged and landed next to him.

"Now what?" She questioned him. In response, Flik looked up at the sky.

"There they are!" He pointed out the departing circus bugs that were now passing almost directly overhead. "We can still catch up!"

"Catch up? How are we supposed to-" Atta watched Flik wrestle one of the dandelion's seeds from the base.

"We'll fly!" Flik exclaimed, holding up the seed with a little jump, sending the entire dandelion swaying slightly. He held it lower. "Stand on the pod," he told her.

"What?"

"Yeah, just like this." Flik grasped the seed's stem with his feet wrapped around the pod at the bottom. Quickly he hopped off, motioning for Atta to do as he'd just done.

"Flik..." she began, turning to watch the circus bugs, who were quickly getting further and further from Ant Island. "Are you sure this is a good idea?"

"Of course!" Flik's voice was full of so much enthusiasm that Atta decided she could at least try this. She had wings, after all. He didn't.

"Alright." She conceded, stepping onto the dandelion seed while Flik held it steady. She was still nervous, especially when Flik himself hopped on, allowing the seed to be carried off by the wind. Flik purposely placed one of his hands gently over hers. Peering around the stem between them, he smiled brightly at her again.

"Trust me." He said softly.

"I do." Atta responded without hesitation. She heard the sound of wings flapping and looked up to see the circus bugs flying closer to them, having seen them flying on the dandelion seed.

"Flik! Atta!" Heimlich cried happily. "Look at my wings! They're working!" Heimlich turned his large head to see his tiny wings, beating feebly. He didn't realize that the only reason he was still airborne was thanks to Francis and Manny. Francis sighed.

"We know, you have wings now." He muttered. Heimlich of course took no notice.

"That's great!" Flik yelled to the large caterpillar-turned-butterfly.

"You've come to say your final goodbyes, I assume? Or have you changed your mind about the circus life?" Rosie asked hopefully from Dim's back. The enormous beetle laughed deeply at the idea of his new friends accompanying them.

"No, we'll stay with our colony." Atta said firmly but gently.

"It's where we belong." Flik added.

"We can understand that." Gypsy flew up on the other side of the two ants. "Take care, then." She cooed.

"We will! Thank you!" Flik and Atta called back as the group of bugs picked up their pace and gave them their final farewells.

"Goodbye! Please, visit sometimes!" Flik yelled as the bugs left earshot. At the same time, the dandelion seed began to lose altitude. The two ants were being smoothly and slowly floated back towards the ground. Flik turned to Atta once more.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" He teased her. She shook her head.

"Not at all. But I said I trusted you!" She fired back good naturedly.

"You did." Flik agreed. Thirty seconds later, the seed was within a few centimetres of the ground, and together the two ants made the short jump to solid ground.

"That was fun. I would do it again." Atta admitted. Flik punched the air in triumph.

"Yes! Mission accomplished!" He joked. Atta grabbed his hand.

"Come on, Flik. We've got a long walk back." She reminded him in a cheerful manner. He shrugged contentedly, squeezing her hand gently.

"I don't mind."

That was my first romance-based one-shot. I'm not exceedingly good at writing these, in my own opinion, but I will write pretty much whatever you guys request! The next one will be longer, too. I'm hoping to update every Friday, in the evenings, and occasionally on Tuesdays. Thanks for reading, please vote and/or comment if you enjoyed this story! My next one-shot will be a Finding Dory one, but if you have any requests, please drop a comment, or PM me if you'd prefer! See you guys later!