Feel Again

Oh my God, I can't believe I've ran away with a stripper.

We didn't say much during the short elevator ride down to the lobby, but my excitement was off the charts. I hastily took the Bride to Be sash off and left it on one of the couches that we passed going to the exit.

"Oh shit." We were already in the taxi when I realized that I didn't grab my purse before we left the hotel.

"What?" Alden asked, concern etched on his face.

"I don't have my purse. I have nothing on me." I whispered nervously, worried that the taxi driver might hear me.

"Oh, don't worry about it. I got you." He attempted a wink again and I just had to shake my head and laugh at him.

"There's that laugh again. What's so funny?" His question made me laugh even more.

"Oh so this is how it's going to be, huh?"

"I'm... I'm sorry. It's just... your wink is funny. You need to practice winking properly." I said in between laughs.

"What's wrong with my wink?" He said then attempted to wink again, but failed miserably as he winked with two eyes again.

Nothing. It's cute and hilarious... and you remind me so much of him and I can't. I just can't.

"You know what, forget it. Stop it. Just... stop winking." I looked away and tried to shake off the memories.

"Well I'm glad I can make you laugh with it. You looked miserable back there."

I gave him a weak smile before looking out at the Las Vegas lights we were passing.

After a few quiet minutes, we stopped in front of the Tuscany Hotel, home of Marilyn's Cafe which serves steak and eggs 24 hours. I've heard about the place from friends but never actually been there.

After he paid the taxi and we were standing in front of the entrance, I told him I'd pay him back.

"Don't worry about it." He shrugged then opened the huge hotel door for me.

The short walk from the lobby to the cafe was quiet, and a bit awkward. I've never gone out with a stranger before. Even on the few dates Annie fixed up for me, I had secret chaperones nearby. This time was different because I was in an unfamiliar place with a total stranger.

"Hey," he said after we've placed our orders.

"Hey back," I said.

"I'm sorry if I offended you. You really did look miserable back there, like you didn't even want to be there. I just wanted to cheer you up. You don't have to tell me anything. We don't even need to talk about it. All I'm saying is I'm a stranger and I won't judge you in anything you'll tell me."

"Well let's just say it wasn't exactly something I wanted."

"Oh, got it. Then how about we don't talk about it anymore and just enjoy the plate of heaven that is steak and eggs?"

"Sounds good to me."

And just a minute later, we were devouring our huge plate of breakfast.

"I do have a day job, you know. This is just... extra." He said, after sipping from his cup of hot chocolate.

"I figured. I wouldn't have thought of you as... you know... if I had met you at a different circumstance."

"Don't laugh, but I am actually a shrink during the day. My clients are mostly recovering addicts and former strippers who've lost their way."