Contest - Memorial Day (Closed)

TEN-HUT!

STAND AT EASE!

FORWARD...MARCH!

AfterDark salutes all you sexy, steamy mature authors. As per our last contests, we once again introduce you to this month's challenge!

Drumroll please...

That's right! This month's prompt is based on meeting a soldier during the iconic Memorial Day Celebration Weekend

We salute our brave military men and woman in every branch, across the entire world. Everyday men and women make sacrifices to keep our countries safe.

They earn their respect

They earn their respect...and their weekend leave to unwind during this celebration.

The challenge for you is to incorporate this prompt into a short story of three thousand words or less. You must include a soldier (or soldiers) and a setting based on the Memorial Day Weekend.

It is up to you whether to base your story at a parade, cookout, club or another event that celebrates Memorial Day. Use your imagination!

You will decide whether your soldier is only a fling...or the real thing.

Need ideas?
Check out our prompts to get your own ball rolling!

Need ideas?Check out our prompts to get your own ball rolling!

Contest Fineprint

To qualify your entry must be

Submitted before the May 28th deadline

Tagged as #memorialdaycontest

Posted with a link in the comments below

Three lucky places will be up for grabs! Everyone wants to know what the goodies are...and we have plenty to offer!

Our Grand Winner Prize includes:

- Winning entry will be acclaimed via announcement by the official After Dark profile.

- Winning entry will be added to our exclusive contest reading list

- Specially designed sticker for your book cover

- Specially designed winning sash for your profile picture

- The choice of a custom made book cover, banner or avatar pack.

- An option to have one book reviewed by one our ambassador admins (and, if wanted) to have that review posted up in our official "Raunchy Reviews" collection.

Our Runner Up Prizes include:

- Winning entries will be acclaimed via announcement by the official After Dark profile.

- Winning entries will be added to our exclusive contest reading list

- Specially designed sticker for your book cover

- The choice of a custom made book cover, banner or avatar pack.

Storyline Ideas

You are welcome to use these ideas for your own story, but feel to make up your own as well!

- You and a group of friends hit the local bar for the night. One man in particular stands out in the crowd. By the time the night ends, you've learned the charming stranger is a military man, on leave for the Memorial Day Weekend. Do you leave it as a friendly encounter or do you decide to find a quiet place and get to know him even better?

- Your Parents are having their annual Memorial Day Weekend Cookout. Of course, you're expected to be there and the neighbors are invited as well. What you didn't expect, however, is for the neighbor's son (or daughter) to be there as well. On leave from the marines, they look even better than you remember. Sparks from the bbq aren't the only ones flying and you face a dilemma. Do you admit your feelings for them? Do they feel the same way?

- You're volunteering for your hometown's Memorial Day Parade. Your job is to guide the Army's brigade to and from the parade. While on the job, a flirty soldier catches your attention. He asks you out to dinner that night, but you are hesitant. You've been hurt before and made the decision never to trust another man in the military again, you think they're all the same. What do you do? Do you rely on past experience, or do you decide to give this new face a chance?

FAQs

Can my story have sex?

Yes! This is AfterDark, we are one of the few ambassador profiles that focus on mature works. Your story can have as much sex as you want as long as your story has a plot and is not based only on getting down and dirty. For example, you can't just write about Jane and John having wild sex on a deserted bar table. That is pure smut. You can, however, write about Jane and John resolving their marriage issues and as a part of making up, them having wild sex on the bar table. As long as there is a story along with the steam, you can write sex.

Do I have to use the storyline ideas?

Not at all! These are just ideas for you to use if you need them. You can use part of them, or you can just make up your own! As long as you include the soldier and the Memorial Day Weekend, you can write whatever your raunchy little heart desires.

Can I use a story I have already written?

No. Your story has to be written specifically for this contest. If you have further questions, send us a message via our profile. We'd love to hear from you.

How are the stories judged?

We have a team of secret judges that read every entry. They rate stories according to how original they are, how authors use the prompts, the attention paid to grammar and how believable a character is. Tips from the judges? Use a free editor! Grammarly works wonders.

Can I include my story in my one-shot collection?

Of course! Just make sure that you send us a link to the exact chapter of your entry. Please don't send a link to your entire book and expect us to find which one-shot is your entry. Send us a link straight to the chapter that your entry is in. Treat us well, and we'll treat you better (lol).

Any other questions, please feel free to PM any of our ladies in charge or send us a private message via the profile inbox.

Good Luck!