06

Malia

"Okay" I looked at my figure, dressed with a tight golden dress, through the mirror in front of me "I don't know about this one"

My mom, Audrey and I went to the mall to buy a dress for me to wear at the charity event tonight.

"Just get out of there please" I heard Audrey on the other side of the dressing room's curtain.

I got out of the dressing room, feeling totally exposed because I felt some eyes at the store looking at me.

"You look" my mom started with her mouth opened.

"Amazing" Audrey finished with a huge smirk on her face "I mean... Jimmy won't keep his hands to himself"

I rolled my eyes "Could you please shut up with that Jimmy thing?" I made my way back to the dressing room to undress the dress and put my clothes back on.

"What are you talking about?" my mom asked with a confused look and a silly laugh.

I heard Audrey sighing "You see Helen" Audrey started "Your daughter here likes to ignore the fact that Jimmy is into her" I could feel a smirk on her face "And she doesn't want to admit she has a crush on him too"

"What?" my mom asked impressed "Malia, is that true?" my mom actually seemed excited about this story.

"Mom please don't listen to Audrey" I opened the curtain with the dress hanged in my arm "Jimmy and I have a professional relationship" my mom and Audrey looked at me unconvinced "I just invited him because of the event"

"Yeah girl" Audrey rolled her eyes "Keep lying to yourself about it and maybe you'll actually believe it"

Before I could even speak, Audrey took the dress out of my arm and walked with my mom to the store counter to pay for the dress.

(...)

We were at a coffee shop at the mall talking about random stuff when my mom asked an unexpected question "So what does Chad think about all of this?"

This question actually caught me off guard. I didn't know how to explain what happened in that night between Chad and I, without my mom going completely crazy about it.

"I..." I tried to find the words, as I look at the two figures in front of me looking confused "I broke up with him a couple of nights ago"

"What?" Audrey had a happy look on her face after I had released my last words "Why didn't you tell us?"

"I didn't... I didn't think it was that important to bring into a conversation" I tried to make them believe what I was saying but it wasn't working "I mean... I don't know"

"Why do I feel like you're not telling us the whole story Malia?" my mom furrowed her eyebrows.

"I am I just..." I tried to save my situation but Audrey stopped me.

"Just spit the truth Malia" Audrey was now looking at me dead serious and she wasn't kidding this time.

"Okay..." I buried my head in my hands for a second "The night Chad and I supposedly broke up wasn't even supposed to happen because I didn't know he would show up at our house that night" they looked at me more attentive now "And when we started talking about our relationship, I exploded and told him I wanted to break up with him"