Chapter 14 It's a Long Story

Roe's POV
Delilah and Daryl returned late that afternoon holding hands and looking like they were floating about two feet off the ground. Mercy had snuggled into Daryl's neck on the walk home and fallen asleep. He refused to let Delilah lay her in the bed, and insisted on sitting on the sofa with her in his arms while she slept.

Delilah looked at me and rolled her eyes. "And we thought she was already as spoiled as she could possibly get."

I smiled and nodded. "I kinda get the impression we are only seein' the tip of this iceberg."

She set the basket she was carrying on the counter and went to her room to change into a t-shirt and jeans. She came back out a minute later. "Carol made some incredible fried rabbit, and there was quite a bit leftover if ya wanna use it for dinner tonight. There should be enough ta go around for everyone."

I hesitated. "Uhh, so about that... Ezekiel called Carlos and Billy back to the Kingdom today. I guess since the threat from Negan is over he decided they'd be more useful back there."

Her mouth dropped open. "What? They didn't wait ta say 'goodbye'?"

I shook my head. "If I hadn't been here when they came in ta pack their bags I wouldn't have known they were goin'. Carlos said that they would be a part of the patrols between there and Alexandria, so they'll be seein' us often. I think they are both kinda hopin' for occasional overnight assignments so they can drop in for dinner and ta see us and the baby."

She shook her head. "Wow! I can't believe that happened so quickly. Well, now what?"

I smiled. "Well... this does mean that I get my own room now. And you and Mercy have a room without me snorin' across the room. I already moved my stuff into their old room."

Delilah's POV
I nodded and smiled. "Ok, so maybe this cloud does have a silver lining." I looked toward Daryl who was sitting on the sofa with a goofy grin on his face. He hadn't said a word since he sat down with the baby.

I think he was afraid he might wake her up. "Daryl, it's ok ta talk while she sleeps. She's used ta the noises we make, and ya know Roe ain't quiet." Roe smirked.

Daryl smiled and whispered, "Are ya sure?"

I giggled. "I'll keep in mind that if I ever wanna win an argument with ya all I need ta do is hand ya a sleepin' baby."

He smiled and looked down at the sleeping baby on his chest. "She's just so sweet and snuggly, I don't want it ta end just yet."

I grinned and sat next to him on the sofa. I put my hand on his thigh. "You can hold her as much as ya like Daryl. I get it. I love snugglin' her too."

He shrugged. "Might sound kinda stupid, but I feel like I already missed out on seven months of her life. I don't wanna miss out on any more." I smiled into his eyes.

Roe grabbed beers for all of us and joined us in the living room. "I'm just impressed that ya talked her into trustin' ya with her precious treasure Daryl. She didn't have much choice with me, at least not if she wanted ta be able ta use the bathroom without jugglin' a baby on her hip. But I think I can count on one hand the number of folks she's let hold the baby since th..."

I shot a look with daggers at Roe. He stopped mid sentence. "Oh. Ya haven't told him..."

I shook my head. "We just hadn't gotten around ta that conversation yet."

Daryl looked at me concerned. "What is it?"

I shrugged and looked down. "Roe is referring to the story about the worst day of my life."