Chapter 35 Misconception

Four months later
Delilah's POV
I got over my embarrassment about being overheard in the throes of passion fairly quickly. Kenny and John began to join Carlos and Billy on a regular basis coming to Alexandria for band practice. I joined them occasionally to go over a song or two, but tried to make certain that Daryl was around when I sang with them, just out of respect for his feelings about Kenny. To their credit, Kenny and John hadn't really said anything about the incident, and Kenny seemed to have backed away from his blatant flirtation.

We traveled twice a month to the Kingdom and the Hilltop to entertain after dinner. This always involved an overnight stay because we didn't like to travel back home after dark. I really enjoyed the opportunity to go beyond the walls of Alexandria on a regular basis. The roads continued to grow safer as our regular patrols had greatly reduced the number of walkers that entered the area.

The time was approaching when gasoline would become too scarce to use except for dire emergencies. The communities had already begun to band together to breed and raise horses in preparation. But at this point we were still using cars for most travel. Today we were headed to the Hilltop for a visit. Roe and I rode with Kenny, John, and Max in the truck while Daryl was ahead of us on his motorcycle. Carlos and Billy brought up the rear in their car.

Maggie came to greet us as the men unloaded bags and instruments from the back of the truck. "We're so glad y'all are back! Everyone has been lookin' forward ta hearin' y'all play again since the last time ya came through." She hugged me past her large belly.

"Oh my goodness! Look how your baby has grown!" My hand automatically started towards her bump, but I hesitated remembering that not every woman liked for her belly to be public property. "Sorry, I forget that I'm not your doctor. It's an automatic assessment to palpate the fundus..." I shrugged.

Maggie laughed and reached out for my hand placing it on her belly. "I get it Delilah. If it was anyone but you I'd probably smack 'em."

She was due any day, which was the major reason I had wanted to schedule this trip at this time. I felt her fundus, making certain it was a butt and not a head that bounced back against my hand. I smiled at her. "Perfect position. Have you been having any Braxton-Hicks contractions?"

She rolled her eyes. "Oh my Lord, yes! I haven't gotten much sleep for the last week because of it. Dr. Carson did an ultrasound yesterday to confirm that the head was down. It still amazes me that y'all can tell just by touchin' the top of my belly."

I smiled at her. "Yeah, you never forget the feelin' the first time you feel a head bounce
back on yer hand. It just feels... wrong."

We giggled and walked towards the main house arm in arm. Carlos and Billy walked just ahead of us carrying some bags. She had put me, Daryl, Roe, Max, and Mercy in a guest trailer. The others were all staying in spare rooms inside Barrington House. I was carrying Mercy on my hip with the sling under her butt for support. She was getting too big and active to keep her strapped to my back for very long.

Maggie patted Mercy on her back. "So how is life with a toddler?"

I rolled my eyes. "Busy as all get out! This one is into everything! And to top it all off she's a climber and has no fear of fallin'. Daryl and Max only make things worse and encourage the little minx. It's like livin' inside a three ring circus!"

Maggie laughed. I had confided in her at our last get together that Daryl and I were hoping to get pregnant again soon. "Girl! And you're crazy enough ta want another one!"

I laughed along with her. "Yup! Absolutely! As nerve rackin' as it is, bein' a mama is the best thing I've ever done in my life. Daryl and I both can't wait for more."