Chapter 17 Let's Be Clear

Daryl's POV
As Roe, Delilah, and I walked to dinner that night I felt like I was walking six feet off the ground. I couldn't believe that I told her I loved her without scaring her off, and that she returned my feelings. She had Mercy in the sling on her back, and held my hand as we walked into the community building. We got our dinner and sat at our usual table. She put her hand on my thigh under the table as we ate.

Roe was in a great mood and kept us laughing at his stories of him and Delilah growing up. It was nice that I had him to tell these kinds of stories, cuz it helped me get to know her faster. Mercy woke up and reached for me as I finished my dinner. I took her out of the sling and bounced her on my knee. A couple of people walked past and talked to Mercy, telling her how cute she was. Babies were a rare treat and people always wanted to hold them, but I knew it would make Delilah uncomfortable if people passed her around.

We finished eating and Roe stood up. "Excuse me! Can I have everyone's attention?" A few voices around us stopped, but most people kept talking. Delilah put two fingers in her mouth and let out an ear piercing whistle. All conversations stopped, and she turned back to her brother. "Thanks Lila. I just wanted to take a moment ta clear up a misunderstandin'. It seems that after we arrived in Alexandria there was an assumption that Delilah and I were married or a couple. While I do love the woman dearly, I want to make certain that everyone is clear that she is in fact my sister... and her baby is my niece and most assuredly not my daughter. Thank you. Enjoy your evenin'."

There were a few murmurs after this announcement. Delilah chuckled at Roe, but blinked in surprise when I stood up. "And... uh... just ta make it completely clear... that don't mean that she's available... for those of y'all that were gettin' ya hopes up." As much as I hate speaking in public, I wanted to make sure that everyone was clear on that point. I sat back down shifting the baby off my hip and back into my lap. There was more murmuring, and then someone in the crowd started clapping. Other people joined in and a few people let out whoops. Delilah blushed and put her head in my shoulder.

Delilah's POV
I knew that Roe had planned to say something at dinner tonight, so it didn't surprise me when he stood up and made sure everyone present was clear on our relationship. But Daryl's announcement was a complete shock. I didn't think my darling redneck would ever speak in front of a crowd like that. I wasn't sure if the applause started to reward Daryl for successfully speaking to that many people or because everyone was happy for him, but once the whoops and whistles started it was pretty clear that they were all happy for a man they admired and loved.

I lifted my head off his shoulder and smiled into his eyes. He leaned forward and kissed me on the lips, reaching out with one hand to pull me closer to him on the bench. There were immediately whistles and catcalls from all around the room. I knew if I broke the kiss I'd have to face everyone, so I leaned in closer and kissed the man even harder. It only took seconds before we both forgot about the crowd and gave in to the passion between us.

We broke the kiss and forced ourselves back to earth. Michonne had been sitting on the bench on my other side. She patted me on the back and smiled her big beautiful smile at me. "Well done! I just wish you'd have waited until Rick was up and about so he could've heard Daryl. He's never gonna believe this!" We laughed.

This was followed by a parade of well wishers coming by to pat Daryl on the back and tell him they were happy for him, or what a lucky guy he was. You'd have thought that we had announced that we had gotten married... wait...

I turned back to Michonne and whispered, "I just thought of something. Have there been any weddings here?"

Michonne shook her head. "No. Glenn and Maggie were the last ones in our group to get married. They didn't have a ceremony. He just put a ring on her finger and they said things to each other, and that's it. They were married."