Millard Nullings (part dos)

After the confrontation upstairs I hide in my room until dinners over. I'm too embarrassed to face anyone. Even Emma, my best friend. I feel like I've let her down somehow by not saying anything to Enoch and how I left things with Millard.

I lay on my back and stare at the ceiling. The only sounds coming from the hallway are those of people getting ready for bed. I lay and stare for what seems like hours. My mind is blank. It's like I'm too numb to feel anything.

Eventually the sounds coming from outside my door start to slow down and soon it's nothing but pure, black, still, night.

I hear my door gently open. Instinctively I flip over and pretend to be asleep. How did I not hear any footsteps coming down the hall? I hear the door close. I hear soft steps come closer to the bed.

I feel a firm but gentle hand on my upper arm shake me awake. I jump at the touch.

I turn around and squint in the inky darkness. All I see is blackness.

"What -" I start to say but I'm cut off by a finger being placed to my lips.

"Shhh. You don't want to get us caught sneaking out do you?" A voice whispers.

Millard.

My breath hitches in my throat.

"C'mon. You and I are going for a walk."

I decide now isn't the time to ask questions. I get up and grab my coat and slip on my shoes. He grabs my hand and practically yanks me out of my room.

We quickly but quietly go down the stairs and out of the door.

The night is beautiful. The moon shines unnaturally bright leaving a blue sheen on everything in its path.

We walk on in an uncomfortable silence.

After another fifteen minutes of awkward walking we reach a clearing in the woods.

"Really? The creek? That's where you took me?" I ask.

"It's one of my favorite places to come and think, but tonight we won't be thinking. We'll be talking." He says

"Talking. Really. I don't have anything to say to you! I'm done talking!" I yell at him.

He drops my hand. I forgot he was still holding it.

"I know you are, but you're not going to be talking. I am." He says.

"Right." I say to the ground, feeling the burn in my cheeks.

"I didn't like the way we left things so I wanted to explain myself," he says. "It's just, I don't know what to think anymore."

I scoff. "You and me both, Nullings."

He sighs.

"I know you think of me as an annoying little sibling you have to protect all the time," I feel my throat tighten as a tear slips down my cheek.
I try to wipe it away before he notices.

"Hey, hey, shh it's going to be all right,"

He pulls me into a hug and I nestle my face into his chest.

"I don't think of you as a sister, Hann."

I pull away from his warm embrace.

"Then what do you think of me as?" I give him a small defeated smile.

He cups my jaw with his hand and stops for a second.

I take in a sharp breath.

I stand completely still and wait for him to lead the way.

Silently, and in one swift motion, he swoops down and puts his lips on mine. I immediately put my hand on the back of his neck and pull him closer.

In this moment, I don't care about anything. I don't care about Enoch, I don't care about my insecurities; all I care about, is him.

Millard.

He slowly pulls away and leans down to whisper in my ear, " I've been in love with you for a long time. I just figured now would be the time to tell you."

My heart explodes with joy and for once in my life, I am utterly, truly, unbelievably, happy.

-------------------------------------------------------

WOW MY DUDES ITS ONLY BEEN WHAT, 72 YEARS SINCE I LAST POSTED 😩😩 please accept my apologies and condolences I promise to update more often!!

Peace out brothers- love you long time