| the placebo effect |

"Are you alright?"

"I've definitely been better." Millie admitted. She sunk her nails between her chittering teeth, causing them to lose its luster.

Charlie, her older brother, sat next to her in the driver's seat. It was barely seven o'clock but they had parked a few yards away from the school's main entrance, mostly because the student parking lot was already packed.

The pair sat in silence as they observed the sight ahead: a seething mass of students began to make their way onto the schoolyard. Some had arrived on their bikes, others by foot. They all had one thing in common, however–they all appeared cheerful. A bit too cheerful for Millie's taste. She heaved a sigh of misery.

Charlie paid her a look of concern. "I'm sure it won't be that bad."

She shook her head anxiously in disagreement. "I don't think I can do this," she blurted.

If this town was as small as her memory served, this was the only high school within a radius of at least ten miles. Her mind raced with the possibility that someone, someone potentially dangerous who would recognize her. The chances were slim, but if she were to come face with anyone who did, she was sure they would come for her – or her family.

Her breath became shaky when realization dawned on her: in this town, her sins may have been forgiven, but ultimately, not forgotten.

His expression softened at her sudden outburst. "Sorry." she apologized in a hushed tone.

Though the siblings were only a year apart, Charlie felt much older than he was. That, too, meant he felt more obliged to protect and care for his sister.

Biting the insides of his mouth, he deliberated ways to comfort her. He studied her restlessness and his face saw an expression of sympathy.

He gently took her hand into his, stroking his thumb on the back of her hand. Her eyes widened for a moment at the sudden gesture before he softly hushed her, brushing away the initial discomfort. Surprisingly, it worked gradually to ease the tension, her nerves.

Soothed by the touch, her mind began to roam, lingering on the events that had taken place just days before.

"You wanted my number?" The curly haired boy only nodded his head vigorously.

"Y-yes." he sputtered, the word sounding more like a question than an answer. She grabbed a napkin from a nearby pile as well as a ballpoint pen from her apron. Uncapping the pen with her teeth, she briskly jotted a few digits while he watched silently.

The two continued sitting in the quietness for several minutes, Millie's eyes wandering towards the dark double doors that stood at the other end of the courtyard.

When she was done, she spit out the pen cap and faced him. She neatly folded the napkin before extending her hand out.

"Don't be hesitant. Do give me a call." she whispered before winking at him.

She stared at the heaps of people that streamed into the hallways. Many were in pairs, laughing at ambiguities; others were clustered on the red benches that spread out before the grassy playing field that greeted incomers.

For the first time in her life, a surge of endorphins in the form of confidence rushed through her veins. She was enjoying this, whereas Finn became edgy and his jaw clenched.

With raised eyebrows, he took the napkin with sloppy handwriting from her petite fingers without another word. He ran his hand through his unkempt hair as he studied the scrawled digits.