Final

Christmas turned out better than I expected. We invited Ashton and his dad to celebrate with us, plus a woman Ashton said his dad was currently dating.

"First of all, I'd like to thank the Irwin family for joining us tonight." My dad says as he stands up from his seat.

"Thank you for inviting us, Kiefer." Mister Irwin says, raising up his champagne glass.

"Your family will always be welcome in our household. As family tradition, each person has to say what they're thankful for. So I'll start. I am thankful for this beautiful family, I feel blessed to have such wonderful children and an amazing wife. Therese, thank you for taking care of Skye and Patrick, you are a great wife and I may not be the best father but I know that you have always been the best mother for them. Skye, I've been selfish for so long and I apologize for all the pain I've caused." Ashton wipes a tear that streamed down my face, and I stood up to talk next.

"I am thankful for everyone inside this room. You have molded me to who the person I am today, though I know my life was never perfect--and never will be, but that's what makes my life amazing. I like how imperfect we all are, we learn from each other everyday and in the end we are still a family. Dad, I forgive you. But you need to understand that I am not like Rena. I'm old enough to make my own decisions, and I choose to be happy."

"I'm happy as long as you're happy, Skye." Dad answers and squeezes my hand re-assuringly.

The speeches circled around the table until Ashton was the only one left.

"My dad once told me that you have to fight for who you love no matter what it takes. I never thought love was worth fighting for until I found Skye. When I looked into her eyes, I knew that she was the person I would catch a bullet for. I didn't realize before that I had let go of the best thing that's ever happened in my life, and I was stupid to not chase her. I was a coward, but you know where I got my strength? From you, Skye. So I am thankful for you, Skye Nixon. You gave me the strength I needed to fight for my own love." I stand up from my seat and hug Ashton as tight as I can.

"Merry Christmas, everyone." Ashton says, everyone clinking their glasses for one final toast.

" Ashton says, everyone clinking their glasses for one final toast