11

Word count: 1420

     Phil laid back on Dan's bed and watched as Dan spun around in his pink desk chair, looking at the ceiling. "You're going to get sick on your white carpet if you keep doing that." Phil laughed.

     Dan kicked the floor, picking up momentum, spinning around faster. "No, I won't. I'm a professional at this."

     Dan's bright, glossy green lips shone in the twinkling lighting from the fairy lights strung around the room. The atmosphere in the room was relaxed and the lighting dim. Phil enjoyed watching Dan spin around because it made Dan happy. As long as Dan was happy, Phil was happy. "So why'd you choose green lip gloss?" Phil questioned.

     Dan slowed his spinning slightly and closed his eyes. "It's one of my house colors."

    Phil cocked his head to the side, confusion in his voice. "Your house is gray and white."

     Dan giggled and stopped spinning to make eye contact with Phil, who was leaning on Dan's fluffy pillows at the head of his bed. "No, Phil, I'm talking about Harry Potter."

    "Oh."Phil's face flamed with embarrassment. "I've never read the books." Phil admitted. He looked down and played with the edge of Dan's duvet.

     Dan gasped. "Really?!" Phil nodded, refusing to make eye contact. "Why not?"

     Phil struggled to think of a believable answer without letting Dan know about his childhood. "We were poor." Was all Phil could think of.

     "Couldn't you have gone to the library? They have free books." Dan's gaze never left Phil's face.

    Phil shifted uncomfortably under Dan's piecing stare. "Um, well." He swallowed nervously. "I-I don't know."

     Phil looked up and locked eyes with Dan, who looked at Phil with concern. "Alright. Well, I know how to make it up to you." Dan said and jumped out of his desk chair and skipped up to Phil. He grabbed Phil's hand and dragged him out of bed. He pulled Phil down the stairs by his hand and they made their way to the living room. "Wait right here." Dan smiled and skipped out of the room.

    Phil took a seat on the tan couch and waited for Dan to come back. What could that boy be thinking? Dan came back into the room a few minutes later with a stack on DVDs and a big bowl of popcorn. "We're having a movie marathon!" Dan chirped excitedly. "We will watch every Harry Potter movie so that way you will have some sort of idea what it's about."

     Dan popped the first movie into the DVD player and settled onto the couch beside Phil. He leaned into Phil's side and placed the bowl on Phil's lap. Phil's heart was beating so hard it hurt. The feel of Dan's warm body on his own was the best thing he could have ever imagined.

     During the sixth movie, Dan had fallen asleep on Phil's shoulder. Phil decided to wrap an arm around Dan's shoulder as a sort of human blanket. When the movies were finished, Phil was ecstatic. I'm sad I missed this my whole life. Harry Potter is amazing!

Phil got up and gently laid Dan down on the couch before taking the empty bowl into the kitchen. Phil didn't bother turning on the lights and ambled over to the kitchen sink, humming TØP quietly. Phil was cleaning out the excess butter from the popcorn bowl when he felt a stick whack him in the back of his head. "OW!" Phil cried out and dropped the bowl in the sink, splashing water all over the marble counter.

"Stop!" A females voice called out before the lights switched on. Phil held the back of his head while looking at Dan's moms in front of him. Caroline was at the lights and Susan was holding a broom.