Blogging the Psalms -- psalm 15

Psalm 15

Psalm 15 is a simple list of ethical traits that God values. It’s an impressive list, a hard to do list as well. 

The traits that have challenged me are:

1) Keeping an oath no matter what it costs. Sometimes, before one realizes it, one has opened a door to promising someone something. After I finished reviewing The NIV Essentials Study Bible, I gave it as a gift to the pastor’s great-grand-daughter. The pastor saw it and liked it as well. Then she asked for one like it. I told her if Thomas Nelson sent out another call for reviewers of another study Bible, I would give that forthcoming study Bible to her after I finished it.  Before I knew it, a promise had fallen from my mouth. There I was: stuck with having to give someone a gift. In an instant, I had committed myself and my future into a promise. I resented the promise and bore a grudge. I have now received the Modern Life Study Bible. It is not a Bible the pastor will appreciate (I think), but there it is: the promise has been made.

2) The second verse that jumps out at me is the one about “he who speaks the truth in his (her) heart.” I was a mistress of ambiguation and I have been particularly gifted with speaking out of both sides of my mouth. I will say something meaning one thing knowing full well that the one listening to me is understanding my words differently. This was useful in order to prevent hurt feelings, especially my own. But it is a subtle form of lying. 

1 Kings 13 tells of a prophet who disobeyed the Lord because an older prophet lied to him. The older prophet said, “A messenger from the Lord came to me and told me you should do such and such.” The subtle lie is astounding. The word “messenger” is also the word “angel.” The man’s son — not an angel— had given him the message about the young prophet, but as the passage said, the old prophet lied.  

In Psalm 15 we are shown that God has standards. These are standards that few people, especially my atheist friends, can really live up to. I look at these sins and I feel relatively safe. St Paul tells us “if we are to judge ourselves, we will never be judged.” So I look at these sins and if I look into the mirror of God’s word I’ll have to admit that my walk is not blameless. True, I don’t slander on my tongue. At least I don’t think I do. The word that trips me up here is the word “these.” He who does “these things” will never be moved, will be able to ascend into God’s holy hill. The implied word is “all.” He who does “all these things” will be blameless before the Lord. So I can’t get away with a half-baked holiness. It’s all or nothing. As Isaiah says, “all our righteousness are as filthy rags!” The Lord is aware of our utter inability to be perfect. This is why he sent the Blameless One, Our Sweet Lord Jesus, to save us from our sins, to redeem our lives from destruction, to give us back the dominion, authority, and power that is truly the birthright of a Son (or Daughter) of Man.

Many of these traits are only seen by God. Nevertheless, they are godly requirements. 

1{A Psalm of David.} LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?

2He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.

3He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.

4In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.

5He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.