Eighteen

I got out of my car and walked into Target. I grabbed two memory cards and the matting I needed, and left before I got sucked into the shopping trap that is Target. After I left Target, I stopped at a Starbucks on my way to The Grove. I walked into The Grove with my bag on my shoulder and my Starbucks in my hand. I saw a Barnes and Nobel and went in, I found a leather-bound notebook for class and a book just for me. After I left Barnes and Nobel, I found my way to Topshop. I looked around and found some dresses. I really hate dresses, they make me feel so uncomfortable.

I went into a dressing room and tried on the dresses I picked out. I am going to hate having to wear these. I ended up buying five that fit the best and left the store. I hate shopping, almost as much as I hate dresses. I finished my Starbucks and threw away my empty cup. I walked around for a little bit before I took out my camera. I started taking pictures of people just being people. Humans enjoying humanity. It was a beautiful thing to watch, the purity and innocence of humans being humans. I found myself following the sound of music. I saw someone standing by the fountain with a guitar in their hands with the case open on the ground in front of them. I took a few more pictures before I just listened to her playing.

I dropped a twenty in her guitar case and felt a small twitch of envy inside of me as she sang. She had a beautiful voice, and I wasn't envious of her talent, I was envious of how she could just sing without fear. She wasn't afraid of what would happen if people could hear her voice.

I left the grove, still thinking about that girl and her voice. I drove home, singing along lightly to the radio as I drove.

"Cause there's still too long till the weekend, too long till I drown in your hands, too long since I've been a fool, leave this blue neighborhood, never knew loving could hurt this good, and it drives me wild." I sang as I got out of my car.

I grabbed my belongings and walked inside the house. I went straight up the stairs to put everything I bought in my room. After that, I went back downstairs with my phone in my hand.

"Vee! You busy?" I heard Colby's voice call to me.

"That depends! What do want?" I asked as I walked towards the game room.

"Can you just come here please?" he yelled as I walked into the room.

"I'm right here, but I'm sure my aunt heard you all the way back in freaking Utah. What's up?"

"I wanted to introduce you to some of my friends," Colby said with a cheesy smile.

"And you couldn't just text me to come here?" I laughed.

"Well, that's in the past now. Jeez Vee, move on!"

I laughed at what Colby said. This freaking house, never a dull moment.

"But anyway, Vee this is Brennen, Jacko, Bradlee, and Nik. Guys, this is Vee."

I said hello, and they all said hello back. I recognized Brennen and Jacko from yesterday. They were the two people I didn't know who were here yesterday.

"So, Sam told the house you agreed to a birthday party," Colby said, changing the subject.

"Not exactly. I said there was no convincing Elton of anything that isn't his idea, so I would celebrate my birthday," I said to Colby.

"So, we're throwing a party then?"

"If that's what you guys want to do then fine, but I don't need anything to be done for my birthday."

"Vee, you are long overdue for a big birthday celebration. You're also turning twenty-one, so there will definitely be a party," Colby said like it was obvious.