Chapter 7

"I think I'm going to do it."

"Huh?"

"I think I'm going to propose," Takuma repeated himself.

Me and Tsubaki stared at him in disbelief. Then seconds later, we squeal like exciting seals. "Ah~!"

"Yes!! Finally!!" Tsubaki jumped up from her seat.

"You go, Takuma!!" I jumped up along and the two of us jump up and down in circles from excitement.

"Guys, stop embarrassing the three of us out here," Takuma sighed.

Tsubaki and I stopped jumping and looked around, realizing the eyes that laid on us and sat back down awkwardly but still giggled along.

"So how are you going to do it? Do you want us to help?" I asked with eagerness.

"We'll show up at the end when Arisa says yes, to congratulate you two. She'll totally burst into tears, knowing Arisa," Tsubaki suggested.

Takuma nodded but then fell silent. "......What if she says no?"

"Are you kidding me?!" Tsubaki and I both yelled at the same time.

"Arisa's going to say yes no doubt!" said Tsubaki.

"How do you know?" Takuma asked.

"Well first of all, she loves you with all her heart. And second, we had this talk just some days ago and she looked pretty disappointed when I mentioned that marriages for us three was going to take some time. Arisa can't keep on waiting," I stated.

"Alright," Takuma could finally give us a true smile. "I'll do it in two days."

Honestly, I couldn't blame him. I'm even doubting Ayato would ever propose any time soon. That's why I felt so desperate for Arisa and Takuma to get married, same for Tsubaki. If Takuma doesn't, who knows what would happen to their relationship. But that also got me thinking about my relationship with Ayato. I knew I shouldn't be thinking about me when my best friend was going to get married soon but I couldn't stop.

~~

"Takuma's going to propose to Arisa!" I announced to Ayato the second I walked into the door.

"I know," he told me.

I titled my head in confusion. "You knew? How? Takuma told you?"

"Duh, I'm his best friend. He told me and Takeshi before you and Tsubaki."

My smile turned into a beam and I walked over to wrap my arms around Ayato's neck. "I can't wait! My best friend is about to get married! It feels like just yesterday they had started dating. Now they're about to get married. I'm gonna cry for my best friend's happiness."

"I can already see that," Ayato chuckled as he wrapped his arm around my waist.

"Now that I think about it, we've really grown. I still remember our childhood and teenage times, this times were the greatest."

"Hey, this time isn't that bad either," Ayato said as he leaned in to give me a quick peck on the lips.

I chuckled. "Not bad," I agreed.

~~

"What...?" I gasped with widened eyes when Harumi finished speaking.

"Kira Yamato, will be arriving at the airport in 20 minutes and I want—"

"No, I heard what you said. But why do you want me to accompany him?" I asked her, still confused but at the same time, surprised. Yamato from high school became a famous chef throughout the world and he had been traveling everywhere for his career but now he was coming back. And my job was to accompany him with his arrival back in Japan.

"Three reasons," Harumi held out three fingers in front of me. "I have to attend a press conference in 15 minutes so I can't do the job. We are the closest food store in relationship that is to Yamato. And because you were very close friends with Yamato so he'll feel more comfortable," she explained.

I rolled my eyes. "Comfortable my butt. But if my manager's telling me to do this then all right."

"Thank you Shay. I have to go now or I'll be late. You should be on your way as well so I'll drop you off," she offered and practically ran out the store before I could have any say in it, but I didn't really cared so I went along with the flow.

I sat there in the car staring out the window as it drove. The thought of meeting Yamato after years had made me nervous quite a bit. Were our friendship going to end up awkward or would it be the same as usual? Yamato, other than Ayato, Takuma, and Tadeshi, was my closest guy friend in high school. I remembered when he saved me from almost being kidnapped. That incident was never told to Ayato or anyone else, only kept between us. I guess that was how we got closer in the first place. And many thought I was cheating on Ayato with him which made it worse. He teased me a lot as well and our relationship grew closer. But that was years ago. What if an awkward tension filled up the room once we had seen each other again? Or will it seem like time never passed between us?

After Harumi dropped me off the airport, I made my way inside with feelings that disturbed my concentration of trying to keep my cool.

But there he was, standing tall with a business suit on him. He stood out among the herd of people rushing around. Yamato somewhat didn't looked that different. His hair was still as dark red as ever. Then I see him checking his watch and I realized that was my cue.

"Yamato!"