Chapter 11

I kept staring at my phone that had been sitting on my lap from the minute Tsubaki left, debating on whether to call Ayato or not.

After a few more minutes of debating, I finally decided to do so and tapped on the phone button to call him. The phone ringed a few times before I could hear the click that meant he had picked up.

"Hey, I'm on a little break right now, what's up?" I heard him ask. "Is it about the sudden business trip? I'm sorry, it was really unplanned and unexpected but I really can't change the schedule right now or else it will crash with the other schedules. It'll only be for about two days so I'm sure we can both wait. I'm sorry, we haven't really been seeing each other for a good amount of time despite living with each other. I promise I'll make it up to you since you might feel disappointed with the lack of time we have right now."

"I don't really care about my disappointment right now, Ayato," I first told him before continuing. "How are you? Are you stressing yourself out with work? As long as you're doing fine, not stressing yourself out, I'm good."

"You're so thoughtful," I could picture Ayato smiling. "You miss me right?"

"Of course I miss you, why wouldn't I? But it's okay I guess, I can wait."

"Just a little while longer, then I'm sure we can have some time for ourselves again."

"Alright," I smiled. "I can wait for that long."

"Just don't cheat on me okay?" He joked.

"Do you want to die?" I frowned. "It's me who should be worrying about you cheating. Surrounded by all those women, ugh," I rolled my eyes.

"Aw, is someone jealous?"

"Aw, is someone jealous?" I mocked his voice in a higher pitched tone. "Shut up. Even though I trust you with all my heart, I have the right to worry and get jealous. Besides, you had the reputation of playing with every girl's heart, growing up."

"That was like 15 years ago, why bring the past up?" Ayato defended.

"Because the most handsome, aka biggest flirt in the whole school fell in love with his very own best friend," I cooed.

"Wow, your mood changes very quickly," Ayato noticed.

"It's so romantic, thinking about it," I continued after he had interrupted. "It was like something out of a movie. Who would've guessed he had loved his best friend all along? Flirting with all those girls just to make her jealous or get her attention. I'm surprised I never got tired of an idiot like you."

"Insulting me now?"

"But it's okay I guess," I went on. "I'm happy I fell in love with you, although having to deal with you barely being home is a bit tough," I confessed.

"I remember those wonderful mornings we had together; you, always holding me so tight so I wouldn't leave and giving me little pecks on my forehead or lips. You're too cute," I gushed. "I wonder how your employees will feel if they ever saw this side to you," I laughed.

"Eh, I'd rather they don't. You're the only one who can see that side to me," he hummed.

"Aw, I feel so special!"

"You've been special to me since I first met you, babe."

"Stop saying cute, cheesy things," I warned.

"Why not?"

"Because you're making me so desperate in wanting to see you now!" I complained. "And not only see you but hold you and kiss you."

I could hear him laughing from the other line of the phone. "It's so refreshing to hear you so open minded. Years ago, you used to be so shy about those things, I'd have to force it out of you. But now look at you, complaining like a teenage girl in love."

"You made me like this, Ayato."

"Now who's saying cute, cheesy things?" Ayato's question made me laugh. "Damn it, I really want to see you now. That cute laugh is killing me. I should just leave this work behind and run over to you right now."

"Don't do that," I frowned. "Leaving work out of nowhere isn't good, Ayato."

"I'm going to try my best in completing everything so I can get home sooner and see you."

"Who said I wanted to see you?" I joked.

"You don't?" I could hear a little disappointment in Ayato's voice.

"It was a sarcasm, idiot, ever heard of it?" I rolled my eyes. "Ah but if you really want to see me sooner, you should get back to work now," I suggested.

"Boo, such a party pooper."

"Who says that anymore?" I laughed aloud, making fun of him.

"Shay, I'd appreciate it if you don't laugh at me," I could see a frown on his face.

"My apologies sir, I just thought it was funny," I teased.

A deep sigh escaped from the other line, making me concern for Ayato. "I hope that sigh isn't about you working too hard or that you're already tired of me and want to get back to work."

"Don't think too deep into that. I just miss hearing and seeing you laugh," he told me.

"Well, if you're lucky, you get to see me tonight," I implied, trying to bring the mood up. "I might even stay up late to see you in case you're not early."

"Don't you have work tomorrow?"

"Yes but who cares? I'll just suck it up the next morning," I shrugged.

"I appreciate it but please don't do that."

"Your thoughts doesn't matter in this, Ayato, I've already made up my mind."

"Shay—"

"If you get back to work now, it means I won't have to stay up just to see you," I interrupted his refusal with me staying up.

"Alright fine," he sighed again. "I'll see you later."

"Also, you sound like some old man, telling me not to stay up. I'm a grown women in case you forgot. Even grandpa let me stay up late when there was school the next day. You're like some ancient—"

"Shay, shut up."

"Okay, okay," I giggled at him cutting off my jokes. "Goodbye, I love you!"

"Love you too." There was a sound of delight when he said that, making my heart flutter right before one of us hung up.

I couldn't stop smiling that day, happy to have a normal, casual conversation with Ayato once again.