Chapter Sixteen - Escape

We were about halfway back at our vehicles on the outskirts of the ranch, only about 100 yards to go. I'm leading the group with Michael and Matt protecting the rear. The girls slowed us down, tripping over brush and rocks, but they kept fairly silent as I had instructed them to do.

I'd just walked around a boulder when the lights on the ranch came back on, taking away our cover. I quickly crouch down and signal for the girls to do the same.

"Alpha, we've lost our cover. Lights on." I call into my mic.

"Back up generator," I hear Eddie report back."It's on a separate grid. I'll need a few minutes." I look at Michael and he shakes his head. They will find us before then.

"We don't have a few minutes. We are about 100 yards out with our cargo." I call back.

"Proceed slowly. Keep low." Travis commands. "Alpha and Bravo are taking a defense position to cover your approach."

I remember the big guns Travis and Carlos were packing, looks like they might get to use them. I look ahead to map out our path and then turn back to the girls, getting their attention.

"We lost our cover with the lights coming back on, but we need to move." I point to the first two girls. "You two, come with me. When we reach that bend," I point to a large cover of trees that we need to walk around, "we will wait for the next two girls, and so on." Their eyes are wide with fear but don't say anything.

"Same rules apply, try and keep quiet. We're also going to want to stay as low as possible." I tell them and they nod. Matt approaches the front of the group, he'll take the next two and Michael will come after with the last two. The three of us take out our weapons, ready to defend ourselves and these girls. I point again to my set and make sure I have their attention. "I'm going to count to three, and when I say 'go' we head to that bend. Understand?" They both nod frantically.

"One... Two... Three...go" I tell them. At the word 'go' we move quickly, crouching low to the ground. When we reach the bend, I signal for them to move further into the cover of the trees and wait. I call into my mic for Matt to bring group two.

"Delta, we've reached our first checkpoint. You are cleared to proceed." I call back.

"Affirmative." Matt responds. A moment later the gentle footfalls of three people approach our position as Matt and his set of girls join us.

"Charlie, you are cleared to proceed." Matt calls to his brother.

"Affirmative." Michael responds and a then we hear the last set join us. I do a quick head count, confirming six girls, before mapping out or next path.

We continue like this, inching forward little by little. Finally I see the road where our vehicles wait for us. Matt is approaching with his set of girls when one of them, a tiny blonde, trips over her feet and lets out a shout of surprise before falling to the ground. Matt sends the other girl ahead to me and he goes back to help the little blonde up. Suddenly I notice shouts coming back from the ranch. I pull out my small handheld scope and look back over the property, seeing several guards running and shouting at each other. I can't make out what their saying but they are pointing out to the brush.

Toward us.

"We've been spotted." I announce. "Charlie, proceed now! We need to move." Michael doesn't hesitate, sending his girls up with him following close behind.

"We've got you covered, proceed to pick-up." Travis calls through the comm.

"Okay, time to be quick," I tell all the girls. "I'll be in front, follow me. We're not stopping until we reach the cars." I wait until Michael and Matt are prepped and nod to me. "Let's go," I say and move forward at a slow run. I hear hurried steps behind me but I don't look back.