Ch. 4

Narrator's POV

You got your book out to read. You were sitting on Fred's lap while he and George played with your phone. They had no idea what it was.

It was really funny to see them try to work out the phone, you thought. "Remember it doesn't go in water, George, and I'm too lazy to fix it," you reminded them.

Fred moved deeper in his chair and smelled your hair. "I love the way your hair smells," he said suddenly. You blushed and pushed your nose deeper in your book.

George was on the camera app. "What does this circle thing do?" He pushed the button and the phone clicked.

He flinched at the light. "(Y/N), what was that?" He asked, eyes widening. You laughed. "You just took a picture of yourself!"

George screwed up his nose. "What? How is that....?" "Hah!" Fred said, laughing his head off.

You put your book up. You took away the phone from George, swapped the camera, and took a picture of Fred laughing.

He, too, flinched. "Hey! I thought you can only take pictures of yourself!" You shook your head, laughing. "Oh, and here's another game you can play called Flappy Bird. You have to take turns, though."

You gave Fred the phone. He rested it on your back. "When you die, George gets to play, Fred," you said. Fred nodded. "Okay."

George went to Fred's side and they continued to take turns while you read.

A few hours later, Parvati Paril, a fourth year, and her friend, Lavender Brown, came in. Once they saw you sitting on Fred's lap, they went into a fit of giggles.

"You like Fred!" Lavender giggled. You blushed deeply. "..."

Fred was staring at Lavender and Parvati. "Hey, Parvati, aren't you going with Harry to the Yule Ball?" George asked. Parvati blushed. "Y-yes," she said, giggling.

"Oh." George went back to the game.

Parvati sighed. Lavender looked dramatically at her. "Oh, how I wish Ron would ask me to the Yule Ball, Parvati," she said dreamily.

"But I can't get anyone to tell him to. Oh!" She suddenly brightened. "What about, oh I don't know, his brothers?" She was staring hard at Fred and George.

"Oh, er.... Lavender... Ron's going with Padma," Parvati whispered in Lavender's ear. Lavender's smile faded.

She was crying in the girls' dormitory for an hour. "She's a git! Isn't she going to the Yule Ball with somebody else?" George asked.

Fred nodded. "She is... I'm just happy nobody's trying to take (Y/N)." George laughed, but cursed when he died. "That's the best score I'd gotten!"

Time skip (classes right after the Yule Ball was mentioned)

You were sitting in Potions class, working on your homework. Snape was watching you with deep interest, but he moved away.

You felt something light hit your cheek. You looked around and saw Fred on the other side of the table. He had gotten a bad seat, so he couldn't sit by you.

You made motions... First, he pointed at me, then made a dancing motion, and then himself. He was mouthing "Will you go to the Yule Ball with me?"

You now knew the Yule Ball was for a girl and a boy or a woman and a man who danced and had a celebration. You nodded and mouthed, "I'd love to. Of course!"

Back to reality

You blushed deeper, if possible. George noticed your blush and made a heart symbol for you and Fred.

Fred didn't notice, he was reading your book.

"Hey, (Y/N), are you up there?" Hermione was going through the portrait and glanced up at the stairs.

George fake coughed. Hermione whipped around to glare at him, then she saw you sitting on Fred's lap.

"Aww, what a cute couple. I suppose you two are going to the Yule Ball together?" Fred and you nodded. You couldn't go a deeper red. Honestly, you looked like a tomato!

"Cute," Hermione said flatly. "I wanted to talk to you, (Y/N), now that we're friends again." She spoke that last bit rather forcefully, with a glare at Fred and George.

"Alone?" You asked, trying not to groan with disappointment.

"Yes," said Hermione in a bossy tune of voice. "Please." She grabbed your hand and pulled you away from Fred. Fred stared after you. You met his gaze while being pulled upstairs. Before you reached it, you mouthed: "Hold on, I'll be right back."

Fred seemed to get the idea; he nodded and watched George play Flappy Birds.

You walked willingly and impatiently to Hermione. "Yes?" You asked. "I-er... Viktor Krum asked me... To the- you know-. All right, Viktor Krum asked me to the Yule Ball and I said yes," Hermione announced with a whisper, because Lavender and Parvati were asleep.

"Woah, really? You mean... Wait, who's Viktor- Oh, yeah! He's the champion from Durmstrang, right?" You checked. Hermione nodded. "Yes, he is. Did I do the right thing?" She asked anxiously. What did she mean, "right thing"?

"Well, yeah! You got yourself a date, right?" Hermione slightly returned to normal. "But... But Ron asked me... To the Yule Ball." You gasped. "Ron asked you?" Hermione put a finger to her lips. "Shh!" She hissed. "They couple hear us!"

"Ron asked you to the Yule Ball? That's... That's... Wait a minute," you whispered. "Aren't you already going with Krum? And Ron's already going with Padma?"

Hermione nodded sadly. "It's alright. Well, come on. I'm done." She went downstairs and out of the portrait hole.

You returned to Fred's lap. "What was it?" He asked curiously. "Fred!" You gasped hotly. "You know that's none of your business." Fred grinned widely.

George laughed. You got up. "Come on, Fred, let's go for a walk. And you, George can play on my phone, if you like." You grabbed Fred's hand and pulled him up. He was still grinning.

"Okay. Just don't go kissing around or Filch'll get yah," George said, not taking his eyes off the game.

Fred and you blushed and walked out.

"How about outside?" Fred suggested. "It should be warm." You shrugged. "Okay."