Angst AU

a/n: lmao someone requested this a while back and this hurts me so much but i guess i'll write it.

time: right when ruby and sapphire fused for the first time.

~

Ruby, without even knowing, was moving towards Sapphire. Even though she looked completely calm and knowing in front of the rebel Pearl, Ruby felt a pounding in her gem. She didn't even think about what she might do. She was just running. Running to save her.

Ruby quickly reached her, and tried to push her out of the way, but her hand slipped around her waist and for a moment they spun together, Sapphire completely shocked and Ruby not thinking about anything else besides her safety.

Suddenly, Ruby couldn't feel Sapphire's dress under her touch. Suddenly, Sapphire wasn't there in front of her. Suddenly, Sapphire felt much closer to her. Much safer.

It was completely overwhelming, with thoughts rushing out of control, with futures full of paranoid and fear, branching out in a hundred thousand ways. Sapphire's thoughts were not separate from her, and Ruby couldn't hide anything from her. She didn't have to.

Their feet didn't seem to move in the right way, and the faces around them blurred together. They looked down at their hands, and their blotchy, colorful clothes.

"Wha-...What...What is this?" Sapphire asked, and before anything else could happen, they split apart again. Ruby could barely hear the loud gasps and unapproving muttering over the horrible silence in her mind, the blank emptiness that was filled with someone else's thoughts for a moment. Sapphire was so much more than her. Her thoughts overpowered her own so easily and quickly.

 "The rebels have fled." Blue Diamond's shadow loomed above them, loud and judging. If Sapphire was so powerful compared to her, Ruby couldn't imagine how much damage a Diamond could do to her. "Sapphire, this was not the scenario you described!" The anger in her voice seemed to silence the entire crowd of confused gems.

"This is... not what I saw! I don't know what happened, I..." Ruby had completely forgotten that Sapphire had unfused from her physically as well. Sapphire was standing not too far away, her own fingers digging into her arms.

"No! It was me!" Blue Diamond glanced over to her, and Ruby felt an invisible tugging on her that kept her on the floor.

"Clearly." her voice was completely icy, and Ruby shuddered. She wouldn't hesitate to shatter such a useless and common gem. Despite that threat, Ruby didn't regret her actions. The thought of Sapphire being hurt, let alone being poofed made her gag. "How dare you fuse with a member of my court?"

"Forgive me, I-" Ruby thought quickly. Blue Diamond wouldn't care if it was on accident or not, she would have her shattered anyways. There was nothing left to defend. She knew her actions. She lived them.

"Shatter them."

For a moment, Ruby felt a wave of fear. Shatter.

But then... Them. Them? Wasn't it just her?

Ruby gasped at the sound of angry gems bringing Sapphire to Blue Diamond, while others did the same to her.

"Not her! Shatter me! She didn't fuse with me, I fused with her! Leave her ALONE!" For a moment, Ruby felt like a Diamond. The entire crowd, the entire world seemed to hush. Blue Diamond glared at her.

"How dare you," There was a void of emotions that seemed to drag Ruby's fear in, "How dare you question ME!"

Ruby thought for a split second. This was a Diamond, and she was a common Ruby. She could easily have her shattered. But then again, that had already been called to action. What else was there to lose besides Sapphire?

"YOU'RE JUST A DIAMOND! JUST A GEM LIKE THE REST OF US!"

"Shatter her." There was no anger anymore. Just. Blank. To Ruby's surprise, Blue Diamond wasn't pointing to her. She was pointing towards Sapphire.

"No!" Ruby tried to break free of the other gems. "Let her go! LEAVE HER ALONE!"

A gem raised a club, and brought it down with a tremendous amount of force.

Ruby could only stare as the horrible cracking sound echoed for a moment.

When the dust settled there were shards of the blue gemstone on the marble colored tiles. Ruby didn't fight. There was nothing else to fight for.

She vaguely saw the shadow of a weapon being raised behind her, and she only caught a glance of the shadow slinging down.