Chapter Six - Getaway Driver

So I keep the engine running, she'll be my gasoline
She treats my heart like a stolen car, all the while she had the key
Standing in the line of fire, I'll be right beside her
I'm her getaway driver

----------------------------

A nightmare jolted Emma out of her sleep and she woke up in a pool of sweat.

The smell of rum immediately filled the air around her and she looked over and saw Hook passed out in bed next to her, probably still drunk from the previous night. She rolled her eyes then peered over and saw the numbers on the clock glowing 5:38 am.

Even though she didn't have work today, she didn't think she'd be able to fall back asleep so she quietly climbed out of the bed and headed into her closet.

She threw on a workout tank top and compression shorts, then brushed her teeth and pulled her hair back into a ponytail. Before heading outside, she scribbled a short note and left it on the nightstand to let Hook know she'd be home later for dinner.

She was certain he didn't know her work schedule anyway, but figured the note would cover all her bases so he didn't call her all day long trying to track her down.

The feeling of the pavement underneath her sneakers felt unfamiliar at first but the release came quickly, as thoughts that filled her head were quickly melted away as her music flowed through her headphones. She picked up her pace as she rounded the corner of Main Street then realized she didn't have any destination in mind.

She kept running until she couldn't any longer and when she glanced at the time on her phone screen, she sighed. At 6:30 am, she knew her parents wouldn't be awake yet. So she rounded the corner toward Mifflin Street, walking toward Regina's house in hopes that the woman was awake and getting Henry's up and on the bus for school.

Regina's familiar face greeted her at the door seconds after Emma knocked. "Miss Swan, what a surprise to see you awake before noon." She laughed. "What are you doing here?"

"I was out for a run and I realized that you were right the other day. I do miss Henry. A lot. I figured I'd come over and see if I could have breakfast with both of you and then take him to school. What do you say?"

Regina raised an eyebrow and eyed her up and down, not buying her act. "Of course, come on in. Henry will be thrilled."

"Thanks. I can even help make breakfast!" Emma suggested with a friendly smile.

Regina's deep laughter filled the home. "I never thought I'd see the day when Emma Swan could cook anything without starting a fire."

"Eh, it's not like I have much of a choice now that I cook for Hook." Emma said with a laugh, attempting to sound playful and casual.

"Let's not talk about that useless, no-good pirate. We both know he can't do anything himself. I bet it's a blast to live with him..."

Emma opened her mouth to speak but when nothing came out, she just nodded and was thankful when she heard Henry running down the stairs.

"Emma! What are you doing here so early?" Henry called as he sprinted quickly down the steps and hugged his mom.

"I came to have some breakfast with you, kid!"

"Mom, I'm almost old enough to drive a car. When will you stop calling me kid?" He laughed.

"Keep dreaming! You'll always be kid to me." She smiled and kissed his forehead.

They all sat down at the kitchen table and stuffed their faces with Regina's homemade french toast.

"Mmmm, Regina. I forgot how good your cooking was!" Emma moaned and Regina just smiled at her and laughed.