Wattpad Original
There are 16 more free parts

.: Mustachioed Man :.

17 | Mustachioed Man

Before Blue knew it, the morning departure to the tournament arrived on the nippy heels of autumn. She left her family behind with a hole in her chest.

Red promised he would swiftly "settle" their mother's affairs if she stepped even one toe outside their guidelines.

Though Blue loathed missing time with her siblings, especially after such a traumatic experience, last minute training was paramount if she wanted to recover the coin her mother lost.

Blue just didn't think it'd come so soon.

The caravan was loaded and set. Six horses were harnessed to carts carrying their best gear. The Indigo Hornet, along with everyone else's armor, was safely locked away in the best mobile trunks money could buy.

They travelled light for speed, though it was unlikely any bandits would dare cross a trio of Anachakar's most feared warriors. Included in their entourage was Sir Anais the Bold, Sir Tyrell the Intelligent, and Sir Beastie of the Seven Suns, all of whom carved their names out of stone, blood, and iron back when the kingdom's future didn't shine nearly so bright.

Near the back, preceeded by actual knights, their tiny pages, and of course the magnificent Sir Pilar, Blue stood near Windsor with her head on his flank.

The Khmaw allowed this, understanding Blue's need for calm in such a trying time.

"Thanks, Buddy." The squire scratched Windsor's speckled nose and he amiably snorted mucus into her hand. "We're gonna do great things these next two weeks, alright? Bring home the bacon and earn our stripes. We have to."

The caravan began at an easy trot and the squires were tasked with heading up the rear. Sir Pilar didn't bother with a rousing speech, more focused their party arriving at Hullbeck in one piece.

Blue mounted Windsor with renewed confidence, adjusting to her lofty new view. The road was clear, paved up until they left the King's domain, and the forest on either side sang hushed songs about the creeping vines and sleeping deer.

The sun and the mountains, eternal lovers, maintained their colorful embrace. The air was crisp and cool.

For once Blue's rough tunic didn't chafe against her neck, and the light breakfast she'd managed to choke down settled easy on her stomach.

Deep breaths, Sanlanh. You've done worse for yourself.

And she had.

This was the easy part.

Or, at least, it should've been.

Up ahead, Squires Torrance and Wu talked strategy, seemingly unconcerned about their prospects. Blue envied their nonchalance and focused on naming the shrubs she crossed instead.

Sorine...

Devil's Jute...

Mud Pear...

Maybe Red's knowledge on crop production wasn't completely wasted. Violet would've named the leaves chemical composition and outlined the finer points of photosynthesis while Saffron and Sienna begged to taste the berries regardless if they were poisonous or edible.

Blue's chest cramped.

Of all the times she gave herself permission to feel, this was the absolute worst.

She was worried.

Even the prospect of adventure with her faithful sword at her side wasn't enough to quell the dread gathering at the base of her spine.