Wattpad Original
There are 14 more free parts

.: Try Hard :.

19 | Try Hard

The Anachakar caravan arrived in Hullbeck without incident.

Many good decent folk associated Hullbeck with organized chaos, denouncing the yearly nature celebration where the residents bared themselves and danced from dawn till dusk in the name of Bafung.

But Blue Sanlanh only thought of tender free flesh, victory, and the comforting sight of patterned headscarves on the local women.

The self sustaining province sprawled in the unclaimed land on Mellow Wilds edge, sandwiched between home and the fierce Mornami Kingdom.

This made it perfect for the Three Kingdoms to send their best and bravest without fear of being slaughtered by a vindictive host state. There might've been a international peace treaty, but the accordance between the kingdoms was anything but peaceable.

Over everything lay a thin, shimmering veil of civilized camaraderie, but anyone with eyes could tell all was not well in the world of Priiah Chin.

Just like how anyone with eyes could see there was something funky going on between the large bearded man and the untitled squire riding in the back of the Anachakar procession.

Blue expected Bo's smug teasing about them sharing a bedroll, but the Prince just rode his chestnut horse with utmost dignity. Sometimes he silently pointed out flowers and berries he thought particularly fascinating, but other than that he made no mention of it.

Blue wondered if she merely dreamt up last night, the story of his scars and his mother's aching blood. She wondered if he would be interested in hearing about her own...

Of course not, he just wanted a bit of comfort, Blue reasoned. Nothing more, nothing less. Bo isn't discerning, he would've shared that with anyone. The only reason he bothered with me is I didn't have anywhere else to go.

The squire was resolute.

I'm not special. It's in my contract.

As for her own feelings, Blue floated even more adrift. She accidentally woke up before him and watched the prince sleep for a good fifteen minutes before she finally unwrapped herself and started packing up her gear.

That was something that honestly deserved more examination but Blue had the emotional self awareness of a housefly.

So a mystery it remained, and Bo woke up alone, and the morning evaporated the midnight chill as swiftly as their closeness.

Business as usual...

It was a long day's ride. Blue's ass hurt something awful in the saddle and Windsor's jostling was merciless. She didn't have as much padding back there as other village girls, no matter how appreciative Bo was of her physique. 

"If I break my tailbone before we make it to Hullbeck it's your fault." Blue hissed at the black steed.

Windsor merely flattened his ears back and grumbled deep from his chest.

Stars came. The quarter moon shone in the ink sky before torch light speckled the horizon.

"Not much longer." Sir Pilar called back, and the pages gave an excited cheer.

A high stone wall, old as sin itself, stretched across the clearing leading into the territory.

The Head Knight rode up to the guards posted at the gate and announced herself.

"Good evening, gentlemen. The King's Knight, Sir Pilar the Magnificent, requests entrance into Hullbeck to compete in the Autumn Invitational."

The larger guard's grizzly jaw dropped.

"You're Sir Pilar? Scourge of Anachakar? The Demon with a Bow? Mistress of Carnage?"

The woman in question bristled.

"What of it?"

"Oh man, my dad told me and my sister stories about your heroics when I was coming up. I never thought I'd get a chance to meet you in person. You're legendary around here." The guard looked sheepish, and his companion stared at Sir Pilar in awe.

And she was a sight, partnered with a Khmaw mare as black as her armor, wild curly hair springing around her severe features.

How intimidating could Pilar really be in all her glory?

"W-would you mind if I got an autograph? For my sister? She really looks up to you."

"Well, uh." The Head Knight cleared her throat. "Of course. Once we're settled ask for me by name and I'll sign whatever you like."

Standing behind her, the trio of knights snickered as their mentor's blustering.

Promises made, Team Anachakar was admitted into Hullbeck proper. Since it was so late only drunkards and the occasional prostitute stumbled the streets.

Come tomorrow every corner of Hullbeck would be swarmed by squires and spectators there to encourage the next generation of warriors.

Pilar arranged for their stay at a large hostel, the Raunchy Rooster, close to the fairgrounds. Once the pages stabled the horses and secured the equipment, Pilar handed out room keys.

Blue had to lodge with Torrance and Wu, but it didn't bother her much since she figured they weren't the ones doing her dirty. She hoped.

Pilar's voice was stern, bordering on motherly, but there was no question about the magnitude of her words.

"Tomorrow brings the opening ceremony and the First Feast. No one is required to sleep here, save for the pages, but whatever costs you incur are yours alone. I trust you all to behave sensibly and keep your wits about you. We may be welcome here, but trouble strikes hardest when your pants are around your legs and you're nine pints deep. Do I make myself understood?"

Nods from all around. Even the Prince. Even from Blue. Squires Torrance and Wu shot each other covert glances, and Blue knew the plotting for a wild Boy's Night Out when she saw one.

"If you do anything to tarnish the good name of your crown and country I will pretend I have no idea who you are. We will be strangers. I have never seen you before in my life. That being said, you're released."

Not wanting to forget her promise, Sir Pilar dazedly went to find the guard who reminded her how much hero worship unsettled her.

Reluctant to test their luck, or Pilar's thin patience, everyone else headed inside. Except Bo. The large man hung back, and since Blue couldn't go a minute without looking at him of course she noticed and of course she cursed herself.

"Raunchy Rooster too rough for you, Your Majesty? Afraid you'll find a flea bitten rat family under your mattress?"

The Prince shook his head with a grim smile and his beard flowed like rain.

Business, he mouthed. I'll be back in time for the ceremony.

The pale young man stepped forward as if... as if he was going to... going to what? ... but then he seemed to think better of it, flipped up his hood, and strode off into the lantern lit villa.

His cloak billowed out behind him, a lone traveler caught in an invisible snow storm, and the sight made Blue feel so soft inside she couldn't stand it.

Blue almost called out a worrisome be safe!, but she resisted the urge, severed its head, and let him go without a fuss like she did with most conundrums in her life.