Wattpad Original
There are 13 more free parts

.: Tevurua Horatua :.

20 | Tevurua Horatua

The Playing Circle, as the officials called it, didn't quite live up to its name. It was a wide grassy field butting up against the Boiling Pond where the water challenges would be conducted. Judging by the steam rising from the frothing lake, that landmark was aptly named.

To one end were the wooden stands where the audience could spectate and heckle, to another were the merchant stalls peddling fan merch, turkey legs, and enough alcohol to put down a mammoth herd.

Sun beaming evil into her eyes, Blue wished she pounded a strong pint before signing in because that was the only way she could get through this without having a psychotic break.

Squires Torrance, Wu, and Blue were directed to stand on the Anachakar platform by a young page in black, paraded in full view of the hundreds, no, thousands of people who wanted to see a bit of blood and gore before they returned to their dreary little lives.

They'd have to wait.

Today was a day of niceties.

Above Team Anachakar's heads flew their King's crest, a dark blue hornet flush on a bright yellow banner, and boy didn't that look horrendously familiar.

Somewhere, somehow, a young woman rigged up an amplifying set so her voice could be heard over the din.

"Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Lady Alcott Asger, your host for the duration of the competition. Please welcome to the Playing Circle your champions of this year's Autumn Invitational!"

Cheers erupted. The nobles, sitting high in the preferred seats, politely clapped. The lower poorer levels roared in excitement. Someone's mother screamed "I love you baby!" and was promptly told to hush. Confetti was thrown. Blue felt like a bug under glass.

To their left stood the Oola squires. Two young men stood on the platform, only able afford two slots in their meager treasury.

Their crest was checkered red and white, and an albino tiger's face growled in the center. Crimson dripped from its stripes, blood died in its maw. The flag flew heavy on its pole.

"Please welcome K'awai Ak Mun, Son of Sir Ak Mun the Fearsome, and Xoco Whitewood, Son of Earl Sibill. "

Blue hoped Squires K'awai and Xoco weren't as fierce as their mascot. Judging by the soldierly determination on their faces they were no pushovers. Its culture always the butt of cruel jokes, Oola was the weakest kingdom in the alliance. Their Regent Queen, thirteen at the time, was strong armed into signing the treaty during negotiations, leaving them with virtually nothing to show for fifty years of war.

So yeah, the Oolas had shit to prove.

"Skilled in brawling. The best in the land," Torrance softly said. "Their parents threw them into bear cages as soon as they were old enough to walk."

The scar tissue riddling their young bodies made sense. Blue shuddered at the thought.

"Always a fan favorite, next up is the team with the most event wins to date. The Jewels of the Southern Kingdom, the Blessed of the Evening Sky-" Lady Asger listed a few more ridiculous epithets, and Blue's eyes damn near rolled out of her head. "The Sweetest Smelling Squires in Priiah Chin, hailing from the Mornami Kingdom!"

A solid block of spectators dressed in coal black and silver stood and howled.

On the Mornami platform four squires flexed and peacocked. A beach blond man with amber skin winked and slicked his spaghetti hair back, sending lords and ladies into fainting spells.