Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

.: Sheer Audacity :.

23 | Sheer Audacity

Archery was next.

Blue came in third overall, shocking viewers, judges, and participants alike.

Their surprise (as well as her own) pissed her off so much she couldn't even appreciate the fact she thought a quiver was a infectious disease a few short months ago.

Something about the smooth pull and draw of the bow came natural to her, and her accuracy was so scarily spot on even Sir Pilar stopped to admire. Purity of form rarely developed outside of practice. It was obvious who spent their weekends collecting stray arrows from the training lawn.

Good, but not good enough.

Never good enough.

Perhaps Blue's losses wouldn't sting so much if she didn't have to stick around for the speeches. God, Blue hated the speeches.

Squire Xoco accepted his brother chord so coolly you'd think he hadn't split his dead aimed arrows in half on a target fifty feet away.

"It is an honor to receive this award on behalf of my people and my kingdom. I shall allot my winnings to the young and indigent of Hullbeck so they may have greater opportunities for upward growth. So their dreams of a better future are not just dreams..."

Blue couldn't even be mad. Okay, she could, but she had enough character flaws to wrestle outside her anger issues.

Besides Blue the Oolas' dwindling treasury thirsted for extra coin the most. The other squires were fairly well off, with nothing to lose except their lives, and those were easily replaceable, weren't they?

Even then Xoco just gave his money away as, what, a show of goodwill? Because deep down he was an altruistic soul with a heart of gold?

The weight settled uncomfortably in Blue's gut. The thought of sharing her winnings hadn't even crossed her mind. Mostly because she didn't have the slightest chance of winning, but still.

Blue wondered if she could convince Xoco to swing a coin purse her way, playing out a conversation she knew she'd never have.

I don't need much. Enough to last the winter. That's it. That's all. Technically my folks are young and indigent too so it's not even a stretch.

Team Anachakar was foolish enough to expect freetime after the morning events.

It wasn't so.

Pilar broke the news of their stacked schedules with a neat, leather bound journal tucked under her arm.

"You seem to be under the impression this is a paid vacation, gentlemen. We came here to work, not drink and sex ourselves to death."

"I thought we had afternoons off," Torrance cried.

"Sike bitch, you thought." Wu was still high off his win. "Never a moment's rest, huh."

A raw scream edged up Blue's throat.

She could've consoled herself at the bottom of a pint or at Usha's breast, but noooooooo all the squires had to participate in sanctioned community projects, barking and dancing like trained seals.

Disgusting.

"Positive publicity and raising barns." Pilar rolled up that afternoon's itinerary. "Your responsibilities to your people don't end at the edge of a sword."

Blue didn't mind helping out fellow peasants and acting as the Good King's servile, but firm, metal hand. But then Sir Pilar released the squire into a classroom full of noble children expecting her to talk about Honor and The Code and make it relatable, to boot.