eight.

--daydreamer by: young the giant

    the drive to nichole's house was quiet, and consisted of a few stolen glances every now and then

the drive to nichole's house was quiet, and consisted of a few stolen glances every now and then. i was the first one to speak when we arrived at her house.

"i won't be too long, alright?" i assured her, stepping out of the car. she nodded and gave me a weak thumbs up, to which i half smiled.

i walked up the steps to nichole's front door and i knocked quickly. i waited for a few seconds before her face appeared outside of the door.

"grayson? i thought we weren't speaking anymore," she said, brushing a few strands of hair from her face. i inhaled deeply.

"can i come in?" i asked. she nodded, widening the door for me to step inside. i snuck a glance at sandy before stepping in, and she gave me another thumbs up. it made me smile.

"what do you need?" she asked softly.

i sighed, "i want all six of us to meet at the coffee shop by the beach. two weeks from today and 4 p.m. it would give us time to catch up, and we could try to heal. i don't expect any of us to be best friends ever again, honestly, but i want all of us to get some sort of closure or something like that. can you come? please?"

"who's coming?" she asked.

"i've only asked darryn and courtney. they're both coming."

"i'll think about it," she said, "do you want to stay a little while?"

"i don't think that's a good idea, nichole."

she winced a little when i said her full name, a little bit too harshly. i instantly felt like slapping myself for doing this to her and to myself.

"it was worth a shot," she smiled sadly.

"so, will i see you then?" i asked, making my way towards her front door.

"i said i'll think about it," she whispered, following me. she kissed me on the cheek and i stopped.

"nicho-" she hushed me. she wrapped her arms around me and buried her head into my chest.

"i'm sorry, grayson. goodbye."

"bye, nicki," i said, tightening my arms around her shoulders. i let go, sadly, and opened her front door.

"before you go, i want you to know that i'm truly am sorry. for all of this. i never meant to hurt you, and i never meant for any of this to turn out the way that it did. i'm sorry," she said as i left her house.

i turned my head around for just a split second and responded with, "i understand, nicki." and then i left.

"what's in the box now?" i asked, starting the car.