9.3

9.3

Roman is alone when I go to see him the day before I leave. Either Reesa's locked in her room or slinked off somewhere, so I have no problem sitting on the couch with him. Gently he takes my hand and starts playing with a ring on my finger.

"Two weeks," I say.

"It's for Christmas though. It won't be so bad. Especially if you get a cell phone." He smirks.

"I'll try. It's kind of the only thing I want for Christmas. Well, that and money."

"There's only one thing I want for Christmas," Roman says. "And she's going to be miles away." He pulls me into him and places a gentle kiss on my lips. It's slow and cautious, like he's asking if it's okay. My whole body flushes and I pull away. He rubs his thumb across my cheek, watching me intently. "You okay?"

I nod, but can't bring myself to kiss him again. Before I was more than ready. But now I feel the opposite. I feel overexposed and violated and Roman has absolutely nothing to do with the reason I feel this way.

"Piper," he says softly. "I want you to tell me his name and where he lives."

I pull back from his touch. My voice is quiet. "Why?"

"While you're gone for two weeks, I'm going to take care of some things, alright?"

"What things?" My heart's beating faster now.

He takes my face in his hands and looks me deeply in the eyes. "I never want you to feel sad, or upset, or unsafe in this town ever again. Not because of him."

"And that's what you're going to take care of," I whisper.

Roman nods. "I'm taking care of you."