Chapter One

(Note: This is part of a series, read The Full Moon first!)

Chapter One (Kyler's POV)

"I love you, Kyler. I'm here for you, always and forever."

People always want to hear that they're loved and adored.

But here's what I've learned from the infamous term "I love you". Firstly, don't accept it when it comes to werewolves. Secondly, don't accept it coming from vampires. Thirdly, don't accept it from anyone.

They'll always turn around and throw it in your face, using it as an excuse to hurt you. I'm not going to give you a sob story about how my life was a shithole, and even now, I have difficulties sleeping. I honestly don't know what I'm going to tell you. You interpret it how you want. All I can say is...

"I fucking hate people." I grunted, ignoring the sweat that trickled down the side of my face. At the moment, pulling a table into the dining room wasn't my idea of a nice, relaxing Saturday afternoon, but then again, according to my 'saviors', Zaid and Scythe, I had to start pulling my weight.

Only I know for a fact that I didn't weigh as much as this ancient table.

"Quit complaining," Zaid chided me as he gave the table another tug, then collapsed on the floor, resting his arms over his knees, "Let's just take a break before I bust my spinal cord." I gladly let go of the table, stepping back to plop on the floor beside him.

Zaid looked far better now than he did while he was pregnant. He had looked so swollen and sick, his eyes dark and body weak and pale. It was pitiful. Now, he had regained his proper weight and color. His muscles were back, flexing under his black tank top and matching shorts. His seafoam green eyes were bright and clear again.

"How're your brats?" I asked, referring to his four pups. Two of which were biologically his, Aidan and Cal, while the other two he'd adopted, or rather saved. Raven and Rylan. Zaid gave me a droll stare, then looked away to sigh.

"Fine, I guess. Aidan's still the smallest." He muttered, sounding disappointed. It wasn't a good thing to have a small pup, but I knew Zaid loved his son anyway. I personally thought the runt was better than his brothers. Aidan was just a curious little thing. His brothers, on the other hand, were cocky and obnoxious, especially Rylan.

"Think he's smaller than that rat Scythe and I caught that one time?" I asked.

"Probably."

"Hope he doesn't get caught in any traps."

"Speaking of which, take those down and throw them out. I can't risk him getting caught in them," Zaid snorted, then glanced at the clock, shrugging, "Well, we'll just take our lunch for now. Wanna head into town to The Mockingbird? I could go for some burgers." He rose to his feet and I did the same, but waited as he went to fetch Scythe. He hardly went anywhere without his mate.

Not that I was complaining...

Actually, yes, I was. It's not that I hated Scythe, it's just... Well, we have a mutual love/hate relationship. I hate werewolves. Scythe hates werecats. Although, personally, I don't think Scythe had any likeable qualities whether he was were or not.

I went to meet Zaid in the barn with the bikes, because only Zaid knew that I couldn't drive anything else. I was kidnapped before I even knew how to drive correctly. Bikes were far easier since I already knew how those damn things worked.

I went up to one of the bikes, but fell silent and listened, tilting my head back. I always did this when I came into the barn because sometimes I had a habit of stumbling in on Kylan and Alek while they were meeting secretly.