Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven (Kyler's POV)

I hated hospitals.

They were far too similiar to Jack's lab. Clean, white, sharp objects, syringes, people in white coats, and surgical tables. Everything about it was like a duplicate of Jack's lab. Being inside it reminded me treking through Jack's hallways, my eyes darting around constantly -when I wasn't blindfolded, of course- to make sure no one was following me or going to attack me.

Nine out of ten times, I was jumped.

And Ash was usually the one.

Remi led the way across the parking lot, his eyes scanning the large building before he glanced at me, but I avoided his eyes and watched the sliding doors open to greet us. I could already smell the sicknesses and sterile -sharp- objects. We innocently slipped to the front desk as Remi reached into his jeans pocket, withdrawing his student ID.

"You still carry that around?" I asked under my breath. Remi smirked.

"Habit," He said to me, then turned to the stout receptionist, who peeked at us past her thick glasses, "Hello. My partner and I are here to examine the two bodies that were recently brought in from Moonstone for our criminal justice class." She scrunched up her nose in suspicion, glancing from Remi to me, then back again.

"ID please?" She asked. Remi held it out to her, studying it before she looked at me. I stiffened, then my body worked without my mind as I patted at my pockets, then dug into my jacket before grimacing.

"Crap, I left it in class." I fibbed. Remi sighed. The receptionist was staring at me now, though, her lips parted like she was going to speak before she smiled.

"Oh, it's all right, sweetheart. I do it all the time. You look like a fine upstanding young man. You two be careful, though. Gloves, masks, and coats are mandatory when examining." She added, penning our names down after we said them. Remi placed a hand on my shoulder and gently guided me past a pair of doors that shut behind us loudly, leaving us alone in a bright white hallway.

"Holy crap, it actually worked." I managed. Remi nodded.

"Of course it did. Quick thinking there. I didn't think about your ID."

"I don't think it was my lie that got us in." I muttered, reaching up to cover my face. Remi smiled, taking my hand away to peer at me.

"Don't cover your face. I want to see you."

"We came here to see dead bodies, not leopards."

"Oh, right." Remi said suddenly, as if he had seriously forgotten the reason we'd come. I huffed, pushing him away before walking down the hallway and searching the room names for the morgue. We walked further down the hallway before coming to a staircase that was labeled with three unit names, one of them being morgue. Remi and I shared looks before drifting down the stairs.

We went down a shorter hallway before we came to the morgue. We stepped into a smaller room where the coats, masks, and gloves were.

"So, what should we look for? Physical traits?" Remi asked as we tugged the coats on. I fumbled with the buttons for a second as I shrugged.

"Anything, really. Something that stands out about the person and could be picked up by a vampire."

"Can't anything be picked up by a vampire?"

"Guess our job is a lot harder than we thought."

"Fantastic." Remi stated, hardly sounding sarcastic and making me raise an eyebrow at him. He already had everything on and was studying me as I tugged the gloves on before looking away from him in embarrassment. We stepped through the door into the actual morgue, however, a doctor was already in there and looked up with a stern frown.