Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen (Remi's POV)

I was seeing red.

How could they do this? How could they? Kyler had done everything for me, and I him. Yet, that wasn't enough for them to accept him?

Kyler was my mate!

Mine!

And they touched him. They hurt him. They forced him. They tried to drive him away from me, and then they had the nerve to show their faces after what they had done. It was enough to drive me crazy and obviously driving while angry was a bad idea as I had almost rear-ended a Chevy on my way into town.

I honestly just wanted to find Nythara and the others, then rip them apart. Piece by piece, bit by piece, slowly and painfully. They deserved to suffer for what they had done, yet, Kyler seemed to disagree.

Why did he stop me?

He said they were family, but no.

Family did no such thing. Family stuck by you and supported your decisions. They wanted you to be happy, but I had no family. At least, not in Nythara and his family. I saw family when I was with Rosabel, Vivian, and Tyson. We were family. I know they loved Kyler and it had made me so happy when they said they approved of him.

Even Kyler looked thrilled to have someone accept him for him and not try and hurt him.

He had tried to do the same with Nythara, Luc, and Seven, but no. They had gone after him and tore down the wall of trust I was working so hard to build. Just thinking about it fired up another round of adrenaline so I was swerving into The Mockingbird parking lot, knocking up dirt and rocks. A group of bikers lounging outside stared after my truck as I drove to the back, heading down the road that led to our home.

Even though it was a sunny day, I didn't feel the slightest cheery.

I just wanted to leave.

I wanted to take Kyler with me. I wanted to hold him and never let go.

Although, I doubt he wanted to be near me now. He looked angry back at the plantation. He refused to leave until I spoke to Rosabel, Vivian, and Tyson about our leaving. I wasn't going to mention the events that had occured last night. Goddess knows Kyler didn't want anymore publicity.

But I was going to tell them the general truth.

Kyler was my mate and I had to do what I had to do to protect him and our relationship. If that meant leaving, going far away and never returning, I'd do it. If it meant killing my uncle and cousins, so be it.

And I think that's what drove Kyler insane.

And the fact that he didn't let me kill them just drove me right up the wall too. Wasn't he angry? Didn't he want blood for this? He spoke so fondly of killing Ash and Jack, bathing in their blood and sleeping peacefully knowing they were dead. How was Nythara any different? How could he not want to slaughter my uncle too?

I know I did.

These thoughts raced around like a rollar coaster in my head as I pulled up to the garage, parking the truck and getting out. I slammed into the house, pausing as I heard Rosabel's voice scolding Vivian from the kitchen. I took a deep breath and peered inside.

Rosabel was sitting on a stool, sipping her coffee while Vivian stirred a hot pot of soup. Tyson was leaning on the counter, laughing at Rosabel's scoldings until he saw me. He stood up, making Rosabel and Vivian look up.

"Oh, Remi," Vivian greeted cheerfully, "You made it just in time. I was making chicken stew."

"More like death stew." Rosabel retorted, making Vivian scowl at her and Tyson smirk before it melted away. Tyson and I had always been close, so he knew when something was wrong and it only took one look at my face before he realized it.