Chapter Six

Chapter Six (Kyler's POV)

My life had completely changed after Jack had kidnapped me.

I used to take food from food drives or church funds, or I'd do odd jobs to get the money I needed for it. I had a complicated life in the beginning, but I would do anything to have it all back.

Jack had taught me several things the first two weeks I was imprisoned in his laboratory.

Number one: Move with grace, move fluidly. You're a cat, not a dog.

I didn't want to do it, but whenever I didn't, I felt the sharp snap of leather crack against my back or my ankles and I would fall flat on my back in pain. Even if I bled, I had to get back up and try again. It didn't help that I was always wearing that shiny leather black suit that went all the way to my wrists, to my ankles, to the length of a turtleneck around my throat. It was skin tight and I wasn't allowed to take it off.

I hated it so much.

It took me six days to learn how to walk the way Jack wanted me to walk. My ankles were sore, my back ached, but I didn't dare unfold what he taught me if I wanted to keep my feet.

Number two: You are a pet, you are not a human. Your power is far beneath ours.

I wasn't allowed to eat at a table or with silverware. I had to stay in the tiny room I had come to call my own, privately anyway. The one time I referred to it as my room, I was backhanded. I had to sit on the floor and when Jack or Ash were angry with me, I had my arms strapped behind me and I had to bend over to eat. If I bent over wrong, I was whipped for it.

I learned to eat a lot faster then. Eating slow meant risking a mess, another mistake I learned not to make.

Number three: Obey.

I hated this one. It was my least favorite of all the rules Jack had piled on top of me. If he wanted me to sit, I had to sit. If he wanted me to scream, I screamed. If he wanted me to hold still for a blood test or an injection, I had to sit still. It took me far too long to learn that and even now, I had difficulties listening to people.

"Don't be stupid," Jack chided me, cupping my chin in his hand as he studied my face, "You can hear me, you can read my lips. Now do what I say and accept the dosage." By that, he meant he was going to injection me with something that made me so drowsy. I always felt weak and helpless after.

You're already weak. A voice hissed at me. It was that voice that led me to lowering my eyes, trying to loosen up as Jack flicked the syringe, then jammed the needle into my arm. Pain shot up and down my arm, making me tremble.

"Don't speak." Jack ordered. I bit my lip as he finished the injection, placing the syringe on his tray before he came up behind me in the seat that I was strapped to. He put his arms around my neck, hugging me gently.

"See? That wasn't so hard now, was it, precious?" He murmured in my ear, kissing me on the cheek. I tilted my head back to glare at him. His eyes flickered and he whipped around in front of me, taking my jaw in his hand, pinching my cheek painfully.

"Stop looking at me like that. This is your fault," Jack started, making me cringe and try and pull away, "Stop struggling. I order it. You obey. Those are the rules. There is no more law. There is no more Goddess. I am your god now. You do as I say or I will punish you."

"Mm mm!" I responded angrily, snapping my head away from his hand. As soon as I did, my world tilted and I blinked, trying to clear my vision. Jack sighed, standing up straight.

"Thank goodness it's kicked in... Ash," He called up to the intercom, smiling slowly, "I have a gift for you waiting here. Come get him."

Panic bubbled inside me as Jack departed from the room to a door behind me. No matter how much I twisted and writhed, I couldn't see behind me. Just the small dimly lit cell that was Jack's "experimentation room A". I heard the door open and close again.