4

A phone ringing made us jump apart from each other at the sudden sound.

I blushed.

He picked up the phone silently cursing under his breath. He looked annoyed but as soon as he said hello, his face was back to its normal emotion which was no emotion at all. His jaw clenched as he talked to the other person.

Anger flared through me. I had no reason to be anger. In fact I was happy that he was here and over joyed that we hugged, then why was I anger all is the sudden? It was as if Jake's emotions were going through my body but that was impossible.

He angrily yelled at the person on the phone and I jumped back in fear. I was hopping he didn't see but unfortunately he did.

His eyes softened as they landed on me and he quickly muttered a goodbye to the person on the person and walked to me.

"Who-who was that?" I asked just slightly shaking because the memories of him had invaded my head.

"No one important. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to frighten you. What are you even doing here during school time? Don't you know that this part of the woods is dangerous even in the mornings?" He says, irritated as he ran a hand through his already messy hair.

"Why are you asking me this? Because the last time I checked, you didn't care." I say, equally irritated.

Two can play at that game.

His face turned hard and his whole body went rigid as he tensed. He obviously didn't see that coming since he opened and closed his mouth several times, gaping like a fish.

A loud howl sounded from my right and our heads both snapped towards it at the same time.

There was nothing there but trees. The howl sounded again but this time I moved back a step, scared of what it was. I hadn't even realized that I was at the edge of town where the Red-nark Woods were.

It was believed that dangerous creatures live in these woods. Anyone who enters it, was never seen again. Now that I think about it, it doesn't seem that scary. What's the worst that could happen? I get killed? That would be better than living the life that I am right now. No, I can't think like that. I have to take care of my little sister. I can't leave her alone with that monster.

"Avery, go." Jake demanded and gave me a little push towards the park.

But before I could protest, the howl sounded again.

"Don't argue with me right now. Just go. I'll be fine." He pleaded.

I turned around and ran. I ran like my life depended on it though it sorta did.

By the time I reached Ally's school, she was already waiting for me at the gates.

I quickly hugged her, grabbed her hand and started walking home. That place didn't deserve the word home but that's all I've got.

I crossed my fingers that he wouldn't be home tonight because today was exhausting.

My wish came true because I found the house empty. I told Ally to go put her stuff away while I got her some food.

Speaking of food, I forgot to go grocery shopping! Shoot! He is going to kill me when he realizes that we have no food in the house!

"Ally! Sweetie! We're going grocery shopping. Come on!" I called to her.

In no time, she came running through the small corridor with a huge smile on her face. We got outside and started walking. She grabbed my hand that was burned and I hissed in pain. She let go, looking up at me with concerned eyes.